The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 9, 2006, 01:21 AM   #1
Desertfox

Coyotes hanging on fence posts

I was told, long ago, that ranchers and local poultry farmers would petition government hunters to rid the area of coyotes and wolves. Now we are talking several decades ago.
The government hunters would hang the coyotes and wolves on the fence posts where they killed them to show the local people that they were in the area and doing a bang up job. No pun intended.
Is this just an old hunting story, or is there actually some truth to it?

I know that you can't scare coyotes off by hanging a dead one on a fence post. So what is the story someone told to you?
Old May 9, 2006, 01:39 AM   #2
Scorch

Hardly. The depredation hunters and animal damage control hunters got paid a bounty for each coyote they brought in. The pelts were worth quite a bit of money years ago, and a professional hunter could pick up a few thousand dollars extra if he tubed and stretched the pelts.

I saw a lot of coyotes hung on fences. Most of the coyotes hung on fence posts were shot by cowboys and ranchers who had no time for skinning and drying the pelts. Some seemed to think it would keep other coyotes away (as if). Besides, after getting aerated by a 30-30 or a 30-06 that most ranchers might have handy, the pelts were trashed anyway.
Old May 9, 2006, 07:56 AM   #3
silicon wolverine

also we still do it here so the rancher knows we shot one off his land. Many appreciate it. No it does nothing in keeping other animals away, but it does show that the farmer/rancher is trying to control them. Some people around here have been hassled by animal rights people about them and they do it all the more just to torque them off.

SW
Old May 9, 2006, 08:13 AM   #4
liliysdad

Ive always done this, kinda like counting Coup.
Old May 10, 2006, 10:30 PM   #5
Jseime

Better on the fence posts than eating the farm cats and chasing the dog.
Old May 10, 2006, 11:40 PM   #6
impact

I still see it that around here. what really gets me is that people say that there are wolves hanging on a fence. There has been no wolves around here for many years.
Old May 10, 2006, 11:52 PM   #7
cal

Coyote on a post

Just checked on one that was hanging from a post a week or two back. He was gone of course.

Folks used to do that with Groundhogs and such back in the Ohio country many years ago. There was a reason for it then but it escapes my ole memory. By and large it became distastefull and folks pretty much cut it out.

I didn't mind the Rancher that hung this Yote. But It was distasteful for the ladies in the car. I tried to explain it but they still had their noses wrinkled up with disgust. Must be a Man Thing........
Old May 11, 2006, 12:04 PM   #8
Desertfox

I think maybe it works. Hanging on the fence to keep the others away.
I see big Catfish heads on fence posts and I have never seen a catfish in the area while I am driving by.
Maybe something to it after all.