The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 15, 2006, 02:32 PM   #1
riverchic2005

Info on a C. Parkner & Co. double-barrel shotgun please

My dad was given a double-barrel shotgun from his grandfather. It is kind of rusty in spots, so words are difficult to make out. I'm not that knowledgable about guns.

I can't find any numbers, but on both sides, above the trigger, it says C. Parkner & Co. It has beautiful carvings on it. On the end of it, (where you put it against your shoulder), it has a carved plate of some kind that shows a person at the bottom blowing on a horn with a dog sitting beside him. Above the person, it shows 3 dogs chasing down a wild boar (I think that's what it is anyway). There is a house in the top corner. Any info on this gun would be greatly appreciated.

I don't really know how to research guns, having very little knowledge of them.
Old March 15, 2006, 04:13 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

To read the markings better: Take a #2 graphite pencil and color over the markings. Include marking on the water table. (Remove barrels-The water table is that part of the receiver the barrels sit on) Could it say "Parker" rather than Parkner?

HJN
Old March 15, 2006, 04:42 PM   #3
riverchic2005

The left side is hardly legible, but on the right side, it shows C. PARKNER & Co. more clearly.

I figured out how to break down the barrels...(they don't come off very far.). Below the left barrel, I see "100" carved in it. On the underside of the left barrel, it has an E and LG inside a circle. It also has an arrow that looks like it's pointing to an "s" with an illegible symbol under it. On the right side, it also has the "s" with an illegible symbol under it. On the underside of the right barrel, it has "180" and either rr or jj...depends on which way you look at it.

If I had any way of taking a pic and uploading, I would, but my scanner/printer doesn't work.
Old March 15, 2006, 05:13 PM   #4
Jim Watson

ELG is the basic Belgian proofmark.
There were many small Belgian gunmakers in the late 19th - early 20th century turning out all types and qualities of firearms. One common sales gimmick was to mark them with a major US or British name brand... misspelled.
PARKNER is an obvious attempt to sell the semiliterate shopper what he thought was a Parker shotgun.

If it is rusty enough that the rest of the proof markings are not clear, best consider it a wall hanger and not shoot it.
Old March 15, 2006, 07:25 PM   #5
riverchic2005

Thank you very much for the info.