The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2000, 01:17 PM   #1
Jack Straw

I want to find a better method of long term mold storage...something besides oiling the things. It gets pretty humid here in Georgia so that might be my best bet, but I hate the clean-up when I want to cast.

Jack
Old March 23, 2000, 01:46 PM   #2
Paul B.

Jack. I live in the desert so don't have your problem. Try this. Get a few G.I. ammo cans (I don't know how many mold you have, so decide on what's right for you) Place the molds in these can with VPI paper. (vapor inhibiting) I have no idea where fo find the stuff, but most of your new guns came wrapped with it. I just keep mine in a tool box, but like I said, I live in the desert. If I were to more to a wetter climate, I would do just as I suggested.
Hope this helps. As much casting as I do, cleaning oil off my molds would take up too much time. :O
Paul B.
Old March 23, 2000, 04:43 PM   #3
Ricciardelli

When you are done using them, make sure they are dry and dip them in melted wax.

"Clean-up" is simple, just warm them in the oven on top of several layers of paper towels.
Old March 23, 2000, 08:30 PM   #4
Big Bunny

CRC 'Long Life' spray might be worth a try, should burn off or dissolve with a cheap hydrocardon solvent easily?

[Loved the parrafin wax idea.]
Old March 23, 2000, 09:36 PM   #5
char923

I use Birchwood Sheath rust preventive. And clean them with Brake cleaner. I live in Alaska
Old March 23, 2000, 11:28 PM   #6
Randy Garrett

It seems that everyone has a different way to protect their blocks during storage. We use cast iron blocks that will rust in no time flat, so we cover them with STP oil treatment and wrap them in newspaper for long term storage. It seems to completely protect them from moisture (we're in Washington) and it cleans right off with a dose of brake cleaner.

Best regards, Randy Garrett www.garrettcartridges.com
Old March 25, 2000, 10:38 PM   #7
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Jack, I like you live in a very humid area (South Louisiana). I use a very liberal dose of WD-40 after casting and store the mould in a plastic bag (ziplock)in one of those organizers that have all those little drawers in them. When the time comes to use the mould a good dousing in acetone cleans it just fine, and if the mould is preheated the first bullets come out just fine....not wrinkled at all.

------------------
Carlyle
Old April 5, 2000, 08:35 AM   #8
Fred J. Drumheller
Retired Screen Name

Put 'em in a GI ammo Can (check for good Seal) With a Vapor Phase Inhibitor Tab from Brownells. No Cleanup necessary when next you use them.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
NRA Golden Eagle
Old April 5, 2000, 09:53 AM   #9
shooter 90

Midway sells a product called DROP OUT.. its a sort of graphite spray that helps the bullets drop out of the mould..
I spray the moulds with this while they are still warm,, then store in a tupperware container,,
you dont have to clean this stuff off when you use them again

shooter90
Old April 5, 2000, 01:09 PM   #10
Alex Johnson

I don't know if this is the correct way, but I spray them down with WD-40 right after they have cooled off from use and than I slip a couple of freshly cast, lubed, bullets into the cavities. I have never seen any sign of rusting when they are stored like this, I do keep an eye on them from time to time, however.
Old April 7, 2000, 06:39 PM   #11
PDshooter

Well I think I"ve said this BEFORE ! I have a Hensley & Gibbs #68 Mold (The BMW of molds) I hose it down with WD-40 and wrap a oily rag around it. When I want to use it I clean it off with brake cleaner. Its 10yrs old looks like new. Its a work of ART!!! Jeff
Old October 24, 2000, 12:11 AM   #12
rugercollector

I shoot them with WD-40 when they are still warm from molding and spray them off with carb cleaner or brake cleaner prior to use. Like PDSHOOTER mine look like new after years of use. For long term storage how about cosmoline and wax paper?
Old October 24, 2000, 03:19 PM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

I wrap them in butcher's paper and drop them in a GI ammo can with a layer of mothballs in the bottom.

As the mothballs sublimate, the vapor drives off any moisture laden air, keeping the blocks nice and neat. I also store my handguns that way.

------------------
Smith & Wesson is dead to me.

If you want a Smith & Wesson, buy USED!
Old October 24, 2000, 04:35 PM   #14
Bogie

In the back bottom part of my refrigerator, next to the black & purple lettuce and the bluish-green cheese...

Sorry - just couldn't resist...

Old October 25, 2000, 11:13 AM   #15
Contender

Ditto to Southla1. Works fine.
Old October 25, 2000, 04:50 PM   #16
KilgorII

On my bread. Where else would my molds be?

...Darn it Bogie you beat me to it. :P

[This message has been edited by KilgorII (edited October 25, 2000).]