The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2000, 06:15 PM   #1
posigian

I am so new to this that I dont even have my press and other equipment set up yet. I am still trying to get my "bench" together.

I have been doing a LOT of reading. Here and on TFL. What I have not been able to read too much about is sizing.

When, how, why, & whats the differance between FL sizing and just neck sizing?

Does neck sizing only require a seperate die for this?

My 30.06 is the only bottle neck I plan to reload at this time.

------------------
Posigian
[email protected]
I AM THE NRA
Old October 11, 2000, 10:41 PM   #2
alan

Basic questions, but everyone starts out a virgin.

1. Neck sizing, the name describes what is done to the cartridge case. Only the neck is resized. One uses a NECK SIZE DIE for this operation.

2. Full length sizing uses the "standard" sizing die that is normally furnished with 2 die sets, the 30-06 is a 2 die set caliber. F.L. sizing resizes the entire case, neck, body, and can set back the shoulder too. You want to be careful about this last for 2 reasons.
2a. Setting the shoulder back to far creates an "excess headspace situation", which carried to extremes, can be dangerous.
2b. It also shortens case life, that is the number of times the case can safely be reloaded.
2c. While the shoulder should be set back a bit, that means maybe .002-.003", gages to measure this are available, or you can do it be "feel", going slowly, to make your reloads chamber more easily, set the shoulder back only as far as is necessary to achieve easy chambering. A slight interference felt when chambering a round is NOT a problem. I assume you are using a bolt action rifle.
2d. With self-loading rifles, full length sizing is the way to go, and your die should be adjusted so that the bolt closes without interference.
2e. I assume you have at least 1 reloading manual, which should also explain, with illustratioins, the process of setting one's dies.

Hope the foregoing helps. IMO, 30-06 is an excellent round, one that almost anything reasonable can be accomplished with, and a good bit of the unreasonable too.

[This message has been edited by alan (edited October 11, 2000).]