The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 25, 2000, 11:48 PM   #1
KelTeKee

Hey folks, I don't think I have posted in this area before but here goes. I am interested in reloading and most of my calibers are in the 9mm size. These include 357mag, 38 special, 9mm para, 357sig, 38 super, and 9x23. I know these calibers are not all true 9mm but the situation that makes me ask this question is this:
If you were to stock only one or two grain weights to try to cover the reloading of all of these calibers what bullet would you choose. Or is it just impossible to standardize your reload ammo. Why would I want to do this? For this maybe ridiculous reason...In crisis times, can you mix the brass and bullet choices if there was no choice. Thanks for any input.
Old September 26, 2000, 01:08 AM   #2
Big Bunny

KTK- I feel that each calibre and gun should be treated as completely separate "deals". The .38Spl may be "technically" the same cal as .38Super and .357 MAG..... but in practice may not be in fact compatible.
It was a good idea anyway... but impractical - as I tried it myself - loading cast lead 125 gn 9mm para in 38spl cases for a K38. I got a "bloober" due to undersize/lube contamination - and a ring in my barrel for all my trouble, in rapid-fire services!
Every firearm has its preferences and half the skill in reloading/shooting accurately is to find out what it is in projectile size, weight and velocity etc + personal preferences as regard blast and recoil and frequency of use.

Anyway...My 10c worth for your consideration....

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipline...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.
Old September 26, 2000, 04:49 PM   #3
WESHOOT2

I prefer the 135g in the .355"-bore, and 158g in the .357".

Except the SIG. Too hot for any errors. Good round, just don't care to make it.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old September 26, 2000, 10:55 PM   #4
taco

I would choose 124-125gr for .355" calibers and 158gr for .357" caliber.
Old September 27, 2000, 11:34 PM   #5
KelTeKee

Thanks for the info folks...guess I have to stock up on a bunch.