The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 2, 2000, 10:50 PM   #1
ronploude

Prior to moving to South Florida 20 years ago, I was an active skeet shooter. A change of friends and two kids later, I find myself with four pounds of 452AA powder sitting in my garage un-opened. I now reload for 44 mag and 45LC and would like to use up this powder for light target loads.

None of the Winchester reloading books that I've accumulated over the years list pistol loads for this powder. Winchester powder's technical support was not familiar with the powder and could not give me any guidance. A few months ago, I read an article by E.D. Harris that claims that 452AA is the same powder at Hodgdon's Trap 100. Checking old Hodgdon reloading books, I found light loads using Trap 100 for both the 44 mag and the 45LC.

Has any one in this forum used either of these powders, 452AA or Trap 100, for pistol loads? These powders go back a few years so you may not remember anything about the reloads' characteristics but, if you can, I would welcome your sharing them.
Old September 3, 2000, 06:32 AM   #2
Ken in Iowa

Try looking under 45ACP in the older manuals. It was the "best" powder for Bullseye Match loads in that caliber.
Might be a bit fast for .44 Mag and .45 Colt size cases. Would be great in .44 Special.

------------------
Old September 4, 2000, 10:48 PM   #3
dundee

10+ years ago WW 452 was the hot powder for 45 acp loads in IPSC competition. In light to medium loads for the 45 acp it is quite good. In 44 mag cases it will probably be only a light torget type load.
Try the IPSC web site and see if they can give your exact loads.
Old September 5, 2000, 07:57 PM   #4
ronploude

Ken and Dundee, thanks for the input. I pulled a 1985 Winchester load book out of my book case after reading your responses and it did list 452AA loads for 45ACP. The two loads listed are for a 185 gr. F.M.C. (full metal case) bullet. Also listed using this powder are a few loads for the 38 special. Although, I had looked in this manual before, I must have looked only at the 44mag and 45LC load listings. The fact that light loads of 4.0gr and 4.5gr of 452AA are listed gives me some encouragement that I can ultimately develop light target loads for the 44mag and the 45LC. I am also encouraged that E.D. Harris stated in an article that 452AA and Trap 100 are the same powder. Old Hodgdon load books have a number of load listings for that powder in both the 44mag and the 45LC.

I'm confident enough at this point to experiment with it using Trap 100 load recommendations. The one factor that held me back before was a concern for detenation from using a powder for light pistol loads that its manufacturer had designed specifically for shotgun usage. Thank you both for taking the time to reply.