The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 29, 2000, 09:03 AM   #1
Turk

OK guys,

Years ago I said I'd never own a progressive reloader now it's time to eat my words. I looking at reloading 1000 each of 40 S&W, 9mm Para and 45 ACP and as I get older it seems like I have less time. I've been reloading since the early 70's.

I have all the dies (Redding)in both pistol and rifle and will also be interested in loading larger quanites rifle calibers for semi-auto 5.56 & 7.62 NATO. I'm looking for a press that has an extra station so a factory crimp or taper crimp die can be used on the rifle calibers.

What are your thoughts.

Turk
Old August 29, 2000, 09:22 AM   #2
Hutch

Dillon XL650. Works just like they say it will. Great service and tech support. Good owner's manual, and there's a 5 buck video instruction tape. Guaranteed for-flippin'-ever.
Old August 29, 2000, 11:44 AM   #3
Jack Straw

I'm partial to my Dillon 550. It has four stations (the fourth being for separate crimping). The 650 has five stations and an automatic case feed option. You won't go wrong with either one.

Jack
Old August 29, 2000, 02:40 PM   #4
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

I'll throw another vote in for the Dillon 550. Great product with outstanding customer service. What more could you ask for?

------------------
Son
1911 Addiction
"The tree of liberty will grow only when watered by the blood of tyrants."
Old August 29, 2000, 04:10 PM   #5
Gordon Hanson

XL650.

The powder check die at station 3 is an excellent safety feature and, although it's not intended for the purpose, it will let know you know if the charge varies by even small amounts.
Old August 29, 2000, 04:35 PM   #6
beemerb

I use the 550 and prefer it over the 650.Either one will make you a fine machine that will give you many very accurate reloads.Dillons lifetime warrente helps too.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.
Old August 29, 2000, 09:38 PM   #7
Kenneth L. Walters

For maybe 30 years I collected progressives. Probably had about three dozen all of which I at least tried to use. In my opinion the new RCBS 2000 with its strip primer system is the best of the lot! I owned almost all of the Dillon models. They are good machines. The new RCBS, however, is much better.
Old August 29, 2000, 09:44 PM   #8
Rocky Road
Retired Screen Name

I imagine you'll be sort of like me--I resisted going progressive for years, even when about all that was available was the Star. I finally got my Dillon 550 in 1991 and have loved it ever since. Can't imagine how many rounds I've loaded on it. I used to keep the empty bulk purchase bullet boxes but ran out of room.

Whichever you get, hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

Best,
RR

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---
Old August 30, 2000, 07:08 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

Dillon XL650 with case-feeder and optional powder-check dies.

Worth every penny for total piece of mind.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old August 31, 2000, 06:57 PM   #10
Mendocino

Dillon XL650 with the Case feeder! You won't regret it.
Old September 2, 2000, 10:22 PM   #11
ronploude

I was facing the same decission a few months ago. Like you, I checked reloading reviews online and talked with other reloaders. With few exceptions, I was advised to get a Dillon 550 or 650. Just as I was about ready to make the plunge, RCBS came out with their RCBS 2000. I couldn't find anything writen about it but the features, especially the APS strip priming, looked good. Having used an RCBS Rockchucker for 25 years, I am a little partial to RCBS. The press has been extreemly dependable and RCBS has never failed to give me excellent customer service and advice when ever I've called on them for it.

There was a problem with the APS strip loader mechanism binding after I finished setting up the press. RCBS sent me a new APS mechanism FedX overnight. After replacement, the strip feeder works like a charm. No longer do I have to load the primer tubes and never know how many primers are left in the tube. The new stips let you see precisly how many primers remain. New strips attach to the former strip and create a continuous primer feed system without interuption. Reloading with the RCBS 2000 goes so fast and easy that you find yourself with regret when you run out of brass to reload.

As you can tell, I am very happy with the RCBS 2000. It comes with every thing you need to begin reloading except the dies and the shell plate for your favorite cartrige. If you compare the prices of extra shell plates, dies, and die holders to Dillon, you'll find that the RCBS 2000 is not only as good as the Dillon 550, actually better due to the APS primer system, but it is also a little cheaper. In addition, RCBS's support for their products is legendary.
Old September 3, 2000, 12:38 PM   #12
Steve Smith

Another vote for 550B. I really like the manual indexing over the auto indexing of the 650. The RCBS looks like they took a lot of Dillon's tricks and used them. It ought to be really good too. I'm not really crazy about the strip system, but them again, it's probably a little easier than loading primer tubes.
Old September 3, 2000, 02:13 PM   #13
beemerb

I have a question.How much more expensive are the RCBS strip primers then normal primers?I haven't done any checking on this.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.
Old September 3, 2000, 10:35 PM   #14
Kenneth L. Walters

The price in the strips is exactly the same as regular primers. No difference whatsoever. Some dealers, however, have been known to charge more.
Old September 4, 2000, 08:14 AM   #15
Turk

Thanks everyone for the info.

I'm a little gun shy using the APS style of priming. I've got one my bench spend more time taking it apart to unjam it. Would use it as a boat anchor but it's not very heavy.

Turk