The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 5, 2000, 09:50 PM   #1
Andrew Bornman

I realize that this is not reloading per se but this forum likely has the highest number of people with chonographs.

I would like to know the velocities of 40 grain .22lr both standard and high vel.

Please give me as much detail as you have. I am trying to work out the relationship between the mass of a slide or bolt and the mass and velocity of the a bullet.

If anyone could measure velocity from an AR-7 or Marlin model 60 I would be very grateful. Please provide details.

Thanks in advance.
Old August 6, 2000, 10:17 PM   #2
Big Bunny

I have done some chrono work on 22LR for target use and types of ammo before buying. The better the ammo ($$) the more consistent it was in fit and velocity etc.

Sub-sonic goes from 870-980 FPS.(Winchester)
'Super-sonic' 1150-1370FPS depending upon brand.

You will never get consistant velocities from 22LRs and length of barrel, chamber fit, ambient temperature, and height ASL is all critical.

As the AR7 is a 14" barrel you may get higher velocities than expected from this. Autos would lose far less than the popular conception Vs bolt rifles.

Have fun on your project.
BB

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipline...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.