The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 13, 2000, 08:09 AM   #1
jthuang

Newbie rifle reloading question.

Just got two of them in the mail from Dillon. One in .30-06 Springfield and the other in .223 Remington. I've got several of their pistol cartridge case gauges but these are my first bottleneck cartridge cases.

My understanding was that the case gauges for bottleneck cartridges have two "shoulders" -- delineating the inner/outer limits for proper headspacing. Looking at these dies, there is an almost imperceptible "strip" machined out from the top (and bottom) of the die, of very shallow depth.

So for proper headspacing, is the cartridge supposed to drop in flush with the top of the gauge? Thanks,

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old June 13, 2000, 08:45 AM   #2
WalterGAII

That's the Wilson case gage, probably. I use one for my .223 semi-auto reloading. The case is supposed to be above the lower cut and below the upper surface. (Between the surfaces)
Just checked my July Dillon. The Dillon case gages don't seem to be made with the same 'cut' as the Wilson. Looks like the head is flush on the Dillon gage.

[This message has been edited by WalterGAII (edited June 13, 2000).]
Old June 13, 2000, 11:25 AM   #3
MADISON

I do some of my case gaging the "stupid" way.
I have a LEE PRECISION cutter kit [parts bought seperately] that I resize and deprime cases and lock into the cutter. If I can not cut metal off with a few twists I is good.
Old June 13, 2000, 06:26 PM   #4
HankL

The cut on the bottom or base is for the headspacing and the cut on the top is for case length. As WalterGAII said "The case is
supposed to be above the lower cut and below the upper surface. (Between the surfaces)"
HTH
Old June 14, 2000, 07:47 PM   #5
WalterGAII

Madison:

What you're doing is trimming. We're talking about a case gage, to check to see if the shoulder is being bumped o.k. for proper headspacing.