The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 22, 1999, 10:31 PM   #1
TGS

Looking at my brass from some factory Hornady 300gr SP I'm guessing (and would prefer not to) they are S/P mag primers that were used.
I will start with Win296 powder for both 300 and 260Gr bullets. Is Small Pistol Mag the correct primer.
Old November 22, 1999, 10:40 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Is that your final answer? Actually, standard small rifle primers are recommended. And I have to ask why you are apparently loading that powerhouse without a reloading manual?
Old November 24, 1999, 10:56 AM   #3
TomD

The manuals I have are old an outdated, hope to take care of that this weekend. Wouldnt attempt to guess at any reload for any caliper. Ive found some reference to the .454 including an Interactive Manual but none list the recommended primer! Winchester the same problem, Alliant etc.
Ive been in a reloading rut for so many years that I havent kept up to speed on all the new calipers. So the old manuals Ive always used gotta make room for the new! Teh only reloading ive done is .45 LC, .44Mag, .220 Swift and a few others that have been around a long time and are referenced in my Manual. I wouldnt imagine shooting anything that wasnt in my books. The 300's were factory.

[This message has been edited by TomD (edited November 24, 1999).]
Old November 24, 1999, 01:14 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

Sounds good Tom. I just wanted to be sure we have all TFL members around for a long time. BTW, did you change your alias?
Old November 25, 1999, 06:41 PM   #5
TGS

Hal
was trying to figure out who BTW was Acually it wasnst intentional. I went on line at work and couldnt remember what my passward was so when Im in the shop youll see TGS and when Im at work it'll show up as TomD.
Hope to get up to the re-loading store tomarrow and get up a little enventory. Shot up a few 240 Hornady factory this afternoon. I was pretty impressed. Under 1" at 60'. The Raging Bull sure is a pleasant gun to shoot.
Have a safe holiday. Im going out Sat. and see if Mr. Buck will give me a shot.