The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 5, 2005, 11:28 PM   #76
Powderman

Folks, it seems that we have a lost Dragun around here. Anyone seen him?

Dragun, still waiting for an answer.
Old November 6, 2005, 11:32 AM   #77
roberts_usmc

Some of the stuff in this thread is just plain silly!

The first thing I'll take issue with is the guy saying that in his Army bootcamp they usually did a minimum of 25 pullups.
You must have been training with fricking Delta Force - if not that's pure BS.
I am a Marine, and in my boot camp I had the same thing happen. I wasn't a fat-body in the first place, instead I was in pretty good shape. I still lost pullups, and overall strength and weight.
I went doing 12 pullups, left doing 10, and now (6 months after leaving) I do 19-20 depending on the day. I've got to call BS that you guys did a minimum of 25 deadhang pullups in bootcamp.

For the original question:
Do you mean the once in a few years encounter with some BG or combat operations against an opposing force?
Against some bad guy, you need to do just have good hand to hand, knife fighting, and fire-arms skills. Of course it helps to be able to bench 500 lbs or some **** like that -- but you can't stamp something on there like that. Some one will always be able to kick your ass. Just prepare.

In combat operations against an opposing force, you need to have endurance and strength. It's not a question of "can you jog/run a mile?" The question is more like, "can you hauls ass 2 miles to reinforce another platoon heavily engaged, then get down and do fire and manuever for the length of the firefight while carrying all your gear and a weapon (or weapons) plus lots of ammo? Then you got humps where you need to be able to carry a fricking machine gun plus a pack weighing 80-100 lbs on your back.
M59/66 Yugoslavian SKS, 1947 M44 Mosin Nagant, 1939 Schmidt-Rubin K31, 1945 T99 Arisaka, 1943 "ar" RC K98, VZ52 Rifle, 1942 M38 Swedish Mauser, 1942 Tikka Finn M91 Mosin Nagant on 1898 receiver, Mossberg 144LSB .22 Rifle, Marlin Model 80 .22 rifle, Ruger P94 9mm

Guns don't kill people...
I kill people.
-Marine bumper sticker

I buy new guns like French people riot:
To often, and for no good damn reason
Old November 7, 2005, 09:23 AM   #78
Mikeyboy

Quote:
In combat operations against an opposing force, you need to have endurance and strength.
I agree, when you think of combat (anything from a miltary firefight to a civilian having an intruder in his home) people always focus on just strength or just endurance but never a combo of both. I want to be somewhere between a bulky powerlifter and a skinny marathon runner, best of both worlds.
Old November 7, 2005, 09:42 AM   #79
Mikeyboy

A related Question

About 10 years ago, I guy I worked with who coached baseball told me that pushups and especially benchpressing was bad for your rotator cuffs (shoulders) when your over 40. Now that I'm in my mid 30's and approaching that age and I'm worried that it might be true. I have been pretty much injury free, and I want to try to keep it that way. I have let myself go for a few years (Deskjob along with family & kids) and I want to get back into shape and pushups, running and weightlifting was a big part of how I stayed in shape in my 20's. As anyone heard this before. Any of you guys over 40, lifting with no problems.
Old November 7, 2005, 11:11 AM   #80
losangeles

I see a lot of older guys still benching in age group competitions, going in the 40's, 50's and even 60's. However, I believe that maxing out is not a good idea at an older age, although that age will vary with each individual.

My own anecdotal experience from friends is that, yeah, mid-40's is about the age on average. However, I haven't noticed any problems with guys who bench light just for reps using the proper technique and are warmed up properly.
Old November 9, 2005, 04:38 PM   #81
porkskin

stick with dumbells on you benching and always go at some incline. always do rotator cuff work and lots of pulling motions to prevent imbalances. or you could do like me and throw your bench away and do weighted dips for your chest exercise. whatever works for you. injury free is the only way to train
Old November 9, 2005, 04:45 PM   #82
Powderman

Quote:
I am a Marine, and in my boot camp I had the same thing happen. I wasn't a fat-body in the first place, instead I was in pretty good shape. I still lost pullups, and overall strength and weight.
I went doing 12 pullups, left doing 10, and now (6 months after leaving) I do 19-20 depending on the day. I've got to call BS that you guys did a minimum of 25 deadhang pullups in bootcamp.
Well, I was wondering the same thing too.

I spent almost 15 years in the Army, and left as a Staff Sergeant. I led troops through PT and helped score APFT's a number of times.

I am familiar with the requirements and PFT's for the APFT, Airborne PFT and alternate events.

IIRC, the Airborne PT test requires only 3 pullups; other than that, it is a normal PFT.

I have never--repeat, NEVER--heard of 25 pullups as a requirement for ANY PFT in the Army. My son said he's never heard of one, either. He's getting back into the Marine Corps Reserve; just left the active component as a CPL, 4 years active Federal Service.

Dragun--won't you come back and explain to us how this might be so? After all, we COULD be mistaken.
Old November 10, 2005, 01:32 AM   #83
Neal in GA

As of my last APFT in 2/04, the requirements for a 17-21 male were 42 pushups in 2 mins, 53 situps in 2 mins, and a 2 mile in 14:46 (I could be wrong on the 2 mile time, but I know it's close). I fell into the 22-26 category, and the minimums for my age group were 40 p/u, 50 s/u, and a 16:36 2 mi.
Old November 11, 2005, 09:47 AM   #84
Lucky 7

Im rollin on the floor at most of these posts. Try what we did in (3rd) FAST...run 3 miles in boots, weapons and backback (Flak, Kevlar, SAPI plates, holster and LBV load in there), tac up and start shooting. Everyone was shaking and throwing rounds off their first couple times out. Hand-to-Hand wise, same thing then tac and start doing hip throws, takedowns, ect the rest of the morning. Fun fun fun.
Physical fitness will only get you so far. Confidence in the skills one possesses will carry you a helluva lot further.
Regards and Semper Fi!
-L7
BTW My last PFT was 21:20 3-mile, 18 pull ups and 155 crunches. I need some improvement myself.
-PMI Sgt. Hopkins, USMC
Old November 11, 2005, 10:18 AM   #85
OBIWAN

Mikeyboy

I am over 40.....(halfway to 50 )

I have no problem doing pushups every day

As to pullups...don't know the requirements....but I would like to think boot camp grads could do 20+