The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 12, 2005, 06:57 PM   #1
J_C

Recommend ear muffs and shooting glasses

Now that I read what range bag to get, I'd like to know what kind of ear muffs and shooting glasses to get. I want something of quality that will last a long time. Thanks
Old October 12, 2005, 11:10 PM   #2
LH2

There are some good suggestions in this thread: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=184489
Old October 13, 2005, 08:23 PM   #3
sendec

I buy hearing protection based on noise reduction. There are 31db Howard Leights that have worked well for me, and the classic Peltor 7s when I need electronics, though the Peltor Comtacs are creeping up as favorites the more I use them. Higher NR rating equals greater protection.

When it comes to eyepro, Oakley, and only Oakley. I have used plenty of others and nothing comes close for quality, fit and protection as the M Frames. Well worth the cost, besides, eyes are priceless.

Added: I have a couple pairs of M Frames and literally wore one set out - the temple thingy kept falling out after a couple of years of hard use. I shipped them to Oakley and for like $25 they "fixed" them, by sending me an brand new pair, after they found a crack in the lense I didnt even know was there. Great customer support.
Old October 16, 2005, 10:52 PM   #4
hkg3

Quote:
When it comes to eyepro, Oakley, and only Oakley.
I agree 100%
I have a pair of Juliets, some of the best safety glasses around. They also work well off the range. NEVER go cheap on eye protection; whether its from sunlight or projectile.

My wife’s grandfather never wore sunglasses during his 30+ years in the Corps; he didn’t want to be known as a “Hollywood Marine”. He ended up losing his eye site later on in life because of it.
Old October 17, 2005, 12:37 AM   #5
sig-it

there are better shooting glasses than oakley's

zeiss has the clearest lenses as well as the hardest. and i woudl also recommend a pair that has the ability to change lenses...i prefer to shoot with clear lenses, but with different conditions it is nice to be able to enhance contrast and visibility.

i know the zeiss models arent as "cool" looking as oakleys....but like others have stated...your eyes are worth every penny...who needs to look cool when they can keep it in the X from 50 yrds?
s&w model 41 (.22lr)
cz 97B (.45 acp)