The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 15, 2000, 10:21 PM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: October 18, 1998
Location: West Texas
Posts: 2
Hello fellow aficionados!

My gunsmith desperately needs and cannot find a rethreading die for the gas chamber. When he removed the gas chamber plug (at my request) for cleaning/checking, the threads on the plug stripped due to the gas chamber being pressed in on three sides during (apparently) original assembly. The chamber is basically out of round and the plug (or a new one) cannot be threaded in as it now stands.

We'll buy/rent/borrow, but not steal, the right tool. We're just too conservative (not pc correct, but too bad!) to toss my beautiful barrel and buy another just to get around this minor but serious problem.

Your help will be sincerely appreciated!


[This message has been edited by cc (edited March 16, 2000).]
cc is offline  
Old March 16, 2000, 05:06 PM   #2
Staff Alumnus
Join Date: February 23, 1999
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,273
Moving to The Smithy.
Coinneach is offline  
Old March 16, 2000, 10:51 PM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus
Join Date: October 12, 1998
Location: Earlington KY
Posts: 2,299
CC, I don't mean to brush you off but you should post this question at It's more a M-1 Garand site but there are a lot of carbine owners that might be able to point you in the right direction. If you had brought the rifle to me, we'd be doing the same thing you are right now. Another source for at least information might be the tech support staff at Brownells. George
George Stringer is offline  
Old March 17, 2000, 12:05 AM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: December 17, 1998
Posts: 1,885
Check Brownell's first. George is dead on that a call to their excellent tech support line may be all that is needed.
Do you know the size, type and number of threads you need? If you do or can find out, try contacting some tool and die companies to see if they have what you need. Vermont American comes to mind as I've used their taps and dies for over 20 years. Sorry, I really have no idea just how to get in touch with them. Try searching the web.

Politically, Fashionably and Aerodynamically Incorrect!
Grayfox is offline  
Old March 17, 2000, 05:12 PM   #5
Senior Member
Join Date: January 5, 2000
Location: Alabama
Posts: 197
That hole is threaded 1/2 x 32. Any good bottom tap with a slight lead ground on the front end will chase the threads. Just be sure to keep it square to the hole. There were GI tools made for this that aligned the tap with the hole. It also served to align the wrench that is used to remove/install the gas plug. They are hard to find now, but not really necessary.
BBBBill is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2017 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.10401 seconds with 9 queries