The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 14, 2000, 03:46 PM   #1
sd gunslinger

I have a Czech VZ-24 recently rebarreled to .35 Whelen .To my suprise when I got started shooting, it won't feed off the right side of the magazine . I had expected no problems in this area ; the gun formerly had a .308 barrel and fed good, and I also tried some .30/06 before rebarreling and it fed good too . It seems to me the fatter bullets are cocking the shells at too much of an angle when they hit the feed ramp . Shells off the left side of the magazine seem to feed pretty well . Any suggestions or opinions on the problem ?
Old January 14, 2000, 05:15 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

You will probably have to work a little on the right-side guide. This must be done slowly and carefully. Take the receiver out of the action and put the floorplate back on. Make up some dummy rounds. Then, using the dummies, look to see where the round is hanging up. It may help to use lipstick on a couple of rounds and see where they contact the guide rib. Since the shoulder of that round is farther forward than the shoulder of the original round, the point of attack will problably be at the rear of the guide part of the rail. Using a Dremel tool and a round grinder, trim away a little, and try it. If nothing changes, do some more looking. I can't tell you from here where or how much to cut. If you don't want to take a chance of hurting the receiver, take it to a gunsmith.

Jim
Old January 15, 2000, 02:11 PM   #3
wildcat

I had the same problem one time and it turned out to be a little glob of glass bedding compound stuck to the feed rail.If the rifle has been glass bedded recently it might pay to check before you go to work on the ramp.I also have had them bother on a new chamber if the edge where the chamber and barrel face meet is to sharp .In this case the mouth of the case catches on the chamber,but this usualy affects both left and right feeding rounds.Could be the feed rail also but you better get advise from George on working them over,about all that I know about that is that if you screw it up you will perminatly alter your action to single shot.