The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 3, 1999, 12:12 PM   #1
Morgan

I'm looking into purchasing my first bolt action centerfire rifle, and have narrowed it down to an Enfield "Jungle Carbine" conversion (shot one in .303 and loved it - beatiful rifle).

My question is will the .303 stripper clips hold and function properly with .308? I want to use strippers, but I haven't found a source for Enfield .308 clips - but I'd prefer the .308, as ammo is much more common and the .308 Enfield is newer, built with better steel. This gun's going to be a shooter.

Answers? Advice? Source for .308 clips?
Old November 3, 1999, 01:03 PM   #2

Morgan,

I've not seen any 308 clips for the Enfield. The base of the .303 is larger than the .308win, so I doubt it will work. I would suggest that you consider making, or have made, an adapter that allows the standard M-14 5-rnd stripper clip to be used in the .303 stripper guide. This *may* be something as simple as metal or polymer shim material epoxyed into the opening and shaped with a needle file.

Since this effort appears to require some custom elbow grease to get the desired results, I'm going to repost your thread to The Smithy forum, so we can get appropriate focus on the issue.

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited November 03, 1999).]
Old November 3, 1999, 01:44 PM   #3
Morgan

Thanks, Mykl. I called an importer of these Enfields, and he suggested that a .308 stripper from another rifle might fit the .308 Ishapore Arsenal Enfields correctly. Any ideas? Maybe Garand clips? Anyone have an Enfield in .308 willing to do a bit of digging for me?
Old November 3, 1999, 08:10 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Garand clips?

The Ishapore .308 rifles take FAL clips. M14 clips will work but are not as good. LE .303 clips will not work, and Garand clips certainly are completely different.

Jim
Old November 4, 1999, 12:01 PM   #5
Morgan

Thanks, Jim. I thought Garand clips were different, though I've never fired or examined a Garand (I'm pretty new at this, especially the rifles). Aren't Garand clips shoved whole into the reciever, not stripping the cartridges?

To the Shotgun News to find FAL clips!
Old November 4, 1999, 11:01 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Yes, Garand (M1 rifle) clips hold eight rounds and go right into the magazine; it is a derivative of the Mannlicher system, like was used on the Carcano, the Mannlicher straight pulls, etc.

The Lee-Enfield .303 clip is much too wide for the clip guide of the Ishapore.

I wonder if you have fired that carbine yet? If not, you might not like it as much when you do. The recoil is bad and the noise is worse. Plus the flash hider does not reduce the muzzle blast as much as you might wish it did.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited November 04, 1999).]
Old November 5, 1999, 01:29 PM   #7
Morgan

Yeah, it's got some nasty recoil and blast (feels like a 12 ga. shotgun). It's light though, and, well, pretty. With the wife's permission I'm going to be picking up many more older rifles in the next few years, so this is just a start.

Thanks again!
Old November 17, 1999, 11:01 AM   #8
Riss

If I remember correctly the only place that may have had .308 Enfield strippers is TAPCO. They do have a web site.ww.tapco.com Have not checked with them for a while, but is a good place to start.