The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 27, 2005, 09:42 PM   #1
MGK

45LC load question

I recently picked up a Ruger SRH with the 7 1/2" barrel in 454 Casull, looking for something with a little extra kick. I have shot a few factory loads through it of both 45LC and 454 Casull, my groups I thought were rather large; 6" @ 25yds from a sand bag. I started reloading both rounds, went to the range today and shot 50 rounds of 45LC ( 16gr of Alliant 2400, Hornady 250gr JHP - 45200), chronoed 10 rounds @ 932 fps SD = 38.26 and 10 rounds @ 951fps and SD=14.10.
Results: - velocities are 200 fps slower than published figures (1150fps)
- smaller SD achieved smaller group - 4" from sand bag vs 8" from group with larger SD 2 25 yds, still very erratic
- Approximately a 1/2 grain of unburnt powder was found in each case after firing
I reload other rifle and handgun rounds, this is the only round that I load with such a large voume to fill, based on it's black powder history. I like to know what others experinece has been and thoughts on how develop accurate 45LC and 454 Casull loads. I have had similiar reults loading for 454 Casull.
Old August 27, 2005, 10:07 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

With the unburned powder clue, the first thing I would check is the crimp. Velocities are rarely close to those found in reloading manuals, but they are a good guide. However, 200 fps is too far off to be a fluke. Are you applying a good strong rolled crimp?

Which 45 Colt die set are you using? Is it appropriate for the chamber and bore size of the SRH?
Old August 27, 2005, 10:16 PM   #3
Jim Watson

200 fps under handbook is not unknown. Does Hornady say what they shot their loads in?
2400 is not a good powder for low end loads. A maximum .45 Colt load would be about the minimum for a good burn.
Old August 27, 2005, 10:29 PM   #4
MGK

Mal H - I using Lee 45LC dies with their FCDie. Im fairly sure I gave it a good crimp on each round as a last step. Is it possible, that I have not crimped enough so I am getting separation from the recoil? I will have to pay closer attention, is that the most likely source of the unburnt powder?

Jim Watson- The bullet is .452, which is correct for the Ruger SRH, Max powder is 17.5 gr of 2400 according to Hornady, and their test gun was a TC / Contender.
Old August 27, 2005, 10:42 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

Ah! If they used a Contender, that would account for most of the speed difference. It's the difference between a 10" (or longer) barrel and your 7 1/2" barrel.
Old August 28, 2005, 08:43 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

What, specifically, do you wish to accomplish?

Target loads?
Hunting loads?
Big sac loads?

Inquiring minds......plenty of available advice waiting on you......
Old August 28, 2005, 10:28 AM   #7
MGK

WESHOOT2 My interest and intent with this revolver was to use it principally for target and some hunting. I went with the "big bore", to feel the recoil and see what the "big bores" were like. I have plenty of smaller calibers, that I reload for, and am very comfortable shooting/loading those. I am looking to develop loads toward the upper range of the 45LC and 454 Casull, this is the next step on my learning curve. As I am finding out, because of it's "black powder" history and magnum caliber, the 45LC/454 Casull presents some interesting issues and challenges. This is the only caliber that I load that has such a volume to the case and and can be loaded from the soft recoil "cowboy loads" to the "magnum" level. Depending on the gun used, can provide wildly different load data, bullet choice and techniques. I am having a great time and learning alot. Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks
Old August 28, 2005, 10:55 AM   #8
Jeffro250

Your SD numbers arent bad at all and are doubtfully the cause of your accuracy problems...im guessing, but id put money on it that your flinching!

Start small...get yourself some FAST burning powder and work up some mouse fart target loads. Titegroup works well for this purpose and will get you some loads in the 700-900 FPS range. Slowly progress from there and work back up to those 2400 loads. The unburnt powder is not at all uncommon with 2400...especially with lower charge weights and lighter crimps. I load it in my 44 Mag quite often...23.5 grains is about max with a 250 grain keith bullet and ive found that if i drop anything below 22.5 that i get unburned powder.