The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 14, 2000, 12:14 PM   #1
AndABeer

I bought a gun locker a few months ago and have already outgrown it and am dissatisfied with the level of security it offers. I am now researching full blown Gun Safes. Unfortunately, the house I live in does not really have a good place to put the sucker except for the garage. I live in Memphis and it get very hot and very humdid in the summers. Is there a safe out there which offers a climate controlled interior without compromising security?
Old July 14, 2000, 10:02 PM   #2
Joe Klug

>Is there a safe out there which offers a climate controlled
>interior without compromising security?

Not that I'm aware of. What I did was to get both an electric dehumidifier AND a big can of dessicant. Between the two of them I should be able to keep things dry and rust free even with the humidity we have here in Georgia.

Be sure to research your safe purchase carefully before putting any money down. A good safe should last a lifetime so you want to be sure to get one you will be happy with. Personally, I found the best security, fire rating, features and warranty with the Cannon Traditional Series. (Your milage may vary)

Happy hunting.

Joe/Ga
Old July 14, 2000, 10:06 PM   #3
loknload

I have a National gun safe which I believe is one of the best built. I have a Golden Rod heater installed. Since my safe is in the basement I keep an eye on humidity and dampness. The Golden Rod seems to be doing the job. The safe does have a vent hole in the top to vent. There are other things (silica gel packs and cannisters) that can also be used. When ever one of my guns are used or handled they are always wiped down with a silicon gun cloth. So far all this is
working for me and I have not noticed any rust forming on anything. I also believe that this safe is very secure
Hope this helps

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous
Old July 15, 2000, 11:23 AM   #4
ohen cepel

I would strongly suggest placing some 2x4's under it so that the bottom won't rust up.
I've seen several of them put on concrete or standard floor and the humidity causes the bottom to rust up.
Try to put it inside. I have one in the corner of the living room. Not ideal but it beat the garage.
I'm in GA also and I think it will be a tough fight to keep the humidity down in it in the garage. A golden rod and several bags of desicant changed often might do it.

I have an AMSEC and am happy with it. It almost seems you have to buy whatever the local dealers sell since the shipping gets too high if you odder your own.

Buy a quality safe and you can't go wrong.

------------------
He who dares wins.
NRA Life Memeber
Old July 15, 2000, 10:10 PM   #5
hksigwalther

Besides desicants, I have put weather stripping on the body where it meets the door. The closed foamy type with adhesive backing. They can be found in DIY stores like DIY, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

------------------
- Ron V.
Old July 15, 2000, 10:29 PM   #6
Mike Baugh

I also have a wood platform under mine and a gasket on the door . One thing to watch is when using a gasket around the door and a Golden Rod you should check regularly for rust . I had a problem with a Golden Rod in my safe when I first got it and when I went to the dessicant can the rust went away . I am guessing this was from the heat not being able to escape because of the tightly sealed door . Good luck , Mike...
Old July 16, 2000, 01:01 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd stay away from safes with fireliners (unless the liner is tile, sheetrock, or fireboard). As told to me by a locksmith, during a fire, they release moisture to keep the interior cool. Trouble is, as they age the moisture gets released, and this promotes RUST. If you do get a safe, build a sheetrock shell for the outside to repel the heat. Our members also gave good advice on using both a dehumidifer rod and dessicant.
Old July 16, 2000, 06:49 AM   #8
VaughnT

Andabeer, what are you using now? I am looking to buy a Homak safe, or something simlar, to store my weapons, but haven't jumped in yet. What problems are you facing, other than size? Are you using Homak or someone else?

------------------
When Reason Fails.....
Old July 16, 2000, 11:49 AM   #9
johnwill

The Homak will protect you from 12 year olds trying to steal your guns, but I doubt they'd stop a determined burgler.
Old July 16, 2000, 02:12 PM   #10
ohen cepel

I wouldn't seal it up IF you are depending on a golden rod. It works on the principal that by keeping the safe slightly warmer than the outside that the moisture will be forced to leave the safe. However, it must have a way out.
Desicants will work great if you want to seal it up.

------------------
He who dares wins.
NRA Life Memeber
Old July 17, 2000, 09:57 AM   #11
straightShot

I live in Michigan. I just got a very large safe that a company didn't want. It's about 6'+ high, very heavy, and on 4" or 5" metal wheels. Tools were stored in it. I'm going to redo the inside, put a hole through the back and put a small lightbulb in it. I'm also going to put dessiccant bags inside and weatherstrip the door. Also, it has to go in my unheated, detached garage.

Does anyone else live in a hot/cold generally humid area and keep their guns in an unheated, detached garage? Any suggestions on keeping the rust away?

------------------
NRA Life Member
Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners(MCRGO)
Old July 17, 2000, 11:46 AM   #12
jason h

I have one of those homak safes. It definately is not burglar proof, but may be enough to stop a burglar who didn't bring any tools or is in a hurry. It does work good for keeping guns dry. I just use a large dessicant pack, and that seems to work fine.

The most important thing to remember is that no safe is burglar proof. If you do keep your safe in the garage, it is very easy for a team of guys to backup a pickup and haul it off. The safe should be bolted to the ground or a wall. If this is not possible, possibly build something around it so that it can not be moved. The safe should be that last line of defense, not the first, in protecting your guns. Try to hide the safe as much as possible. If you have a spare room, put it in there and then buy a solid door, hinges, and door jam for the room, and us this door as your first line of defense. This could also be done for a closet. Most criminals will not go through a wall to get into another room. Even though it is easier to get through dry wall then a door, this fact doesn't probably cross the mind of the average criminal. Try to make any "lines of defense" as subtle as possibly so that they do not scream "expensive stuff behind here." Most important, when taking guns to and from a vehicle, make sure they can not be seen by anyone driving or walking by. If burglars do not know there are guns or a safe in the house, then they will probably not come prepared. There is a lot of other ways to protect your guns from theft, just use your head and be creative.
Old July 17, 2000, 08:25 PM   #13
Jeff51

I have had a Ft Knox safe in my unheated unattached garage for about three years. I hanen't had any problems with rust. I keep a golden rod on all the time and a bag of re-useable deccicant(sp) the safe is also bolted to the cement floor. It's also sitting of the floor buy about half inch, to keep the bottom of the safe from rusting out.

------------------
Life member NRA
Old July 18, 2000, 09:46 AM   #14
straightShot

Jeff:

How cold does it get in your garage? Is it humid? Is there weather-stripping on the safe door? How hot does a golden rod get?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff51:
I have had a Ft Knox safe in my unheated unattached garage for about three years. I hanen't had any problems with rust. I keep a golden rod on all the time and a bag of re-useable deccicant(sp)...also sitting of the floor buy about half inch, to keep the bottom of the safe from rusting out.

[/quote]

------------------
NRA Life Member
Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners(MCRGO)
Old July 18, 2000, 02:04 PM   #15
ohen cepel

Couldn't say how warm the golden rod gets, it feels warm to the touch but nothing you couldn't hold on to.

An option if you can't bolt it to the floor is too bolt a piece of steel to the bottom large enough to keep it from fitting out a door.

Keeping the guns in the cold shouldn't be an issue. However, getting them warm/cold may cause them to draw moisture.

Good Luck with it.

------------------
He who dares wins.
NRA Life Memeber