The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 29, 2005, 10:08 AM   #26
gb_in_ga

Greybeard:

You have a point there, about putting a .357 in as the last round in the cylinder. You really aren't concerned about follow-up shot time when it is the last round, after all. Hmm -- I'll have to consider that. I'm still leaning towards using all .38s just for consistency's sake, though. And certainly I'd have all 1 type of ammo in the speedloaders. I really don't want to take the time to make sure which round was which when doing a "Hot" reload. Stuff & go, as fast as possible is the name of the game there, while the wife covers me with the .380.
Old March 29, 2005, 12:04 PM   #27
IronGeek

Good Advice

Again, thanks for all the wisdom, folks. I now keep my weapon fully loaded with two speed-loaders nearby, & am shopping for a good shotgun.

ig

Last edited by IronGeek; March 29, 2005 at 12:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old March 29, 2005, 12:47 PM   #28
claude783

Take an eye bolt, put it into a wall stud. Now, open the cylinder, and use a padlock to attach the top strap to the eye bolt.

This can also be done with a shotgun, to keep it from being messed with by little hands. You can purchase locks which are keyed alike, and by putting one of the keys on a chain around your neck you have almost immediate access to your firearms.

Otherwise, go to Harbor Frieght and purchase a "safe" which is electronic locked, cost about $40. Will keep the gun out of little hands and can be opened in just a couple of seconds..

Rather than a shotgun, you might consider a lever action in the same caliber as the handgun. I have a Rossi Puma 92 in 357 which wify-poo is capable of using...really kicks up the stopping power of the 357. Getting about 1700fps with 158 gr. jhp's out of the little gun...

It also holds 10 rounds...Marlin and Winchester make lever guns in this caliber also!
Old March 30, 2005, 04:23 AM   #29
LAK

What chris in va and Para Bellum said.
Old March 30, 2005, 06:26 PM   #30
Mannlicher

Easy answer.
#4 Buck in the 870, one up the tube, 6 in the magazine
230 grain HydraShock in the Colt Commander, one chambered, 8 more in the magazine.
an unloaded gun is a useless gun. Its not prudent to add time to what may be a split second decision to shoot or not.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old March 30, 2005, 06:34 PM   #31
gb_in_ga

"...an unloaded gun is a useless gun."

Absolutely. If it comes time to actually use it, you won't have the time, and possibly not the manual dexterity, to be fumbling around with magazines. Keep it loaded. If you go the autoloader route, keep one in the chamber.
Old March 31, 2005, 12:23 AM   #32
RCPractitioner

I am kind of surprised by some of the responses of what people use for home defense and/or what they load it with. In my opinion the only time I will use a handgun to defend myself is when and where I don't have access to a shotgun and/or rifle. I as well have read that some people will use birdshot or salt loads?! Better hope you don't have lead flying at you as you are pumping salt away at the BG. I keep a 12 guage loaded with #00 buck and wouldn't consider using anything less.
Old March 31, 2005, 01:31 AM   #33
Twycross

RCPractitioner,
At HD ranges birdshot, except for maybe the smallest, lightest loads available, is an acceptable munition. Over longer distances, the buckshot and slugs have an infinite advantage, but before the shot charge opens up, most any bird load will have the stopping power of a slug. Just not as much penetration. I keep #00, rifled slugs, and turkey loads with my SG, but I would not be unduely concerned if I had to grab a box of 7 1/2's.
Old March 31, 2005, 02:29 AM   #34
RCPractitioner

I live in the DFW area and recently there was a situation where a business owner accidentally shot a cop responding to burglar alarm (different issue altogether). However, he was using birdshot at close range and the focus of the shot was primarily in the officer's head. Luckily for the officer it didn't kill him, but it if it had been a BG the effects are what I would consider a little less than desired. I believe the officer is making a full recovery last I heard they were concerned about one of the shots being lodged near his optic nerve. Now had this been an armed BG I sure would want to make sure there wasn't ANY chance of recovery. I agree that birdshot won't do a BG anygood and I personally wouldn't want to experience it but having shot a coyote or two with it while out dove hunting I assure you it is far from guaranteed lethal. The way I see it is if you make it into my house with intent to do me harm, then I will not just try to wound you, I will make sure you don't ever make it out.
Old March 31, 2005, 03:16 AM   #35
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Personally, I am no longer a fan of buckshot. It works great on armadillos at 5 meters, but that's about all that I'm satisfied it'll work great for.

I've been using Remington Reduced Recoil slugs almost exclusively in my shotgun for the past few years. Took a couple deer with them, two seasons ago- one of those a running shot through thick brush to the neck, just behind the head.

I grew up in a family of small game hunters, and when we went deer hunting, we used our shotguns then, too. I took my first deer with buckshot, but after years of experience, I have much more confidence in a well-placed slug than any type of shot.

John
Old March 31, 2005, 03:57 AM   #36
RCPractitioner

Armadillos? I have dropped coyotes dead in their tracks with 1 shot with #00 buck.
Old March 31, 2005, 10:28 AM   #37
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

And I've dropped a deer in its tracks with buck(my first, again- and I was actually shooting from the hip, not that that will ever happen again!) but I don't trust buck any more.

John
Old April 2, 2005, 02:29 AM   #38
RCPractitioner

Shotgun Ammo on gelatin/deer/bear

found this on a shotgun thread, as I suspected even up to #1 birdshot is not considered a good idea for "deployment", just doesn't penetrate far enough. Check out the pics. Slugs will definitely do the job but I like the idea of having 9 smaller projectiles that I dont have to be as accurate with under a stressful situation vs. one projectile. #00 buck for me.

Quote:
While approaching our minimum recommended penetration standard for an all around tactical shotgun load, this birdshot load just does not quite measure up. Consideration of this load should be limited to an application where an engagement is guaranteed to be very close range and overpenetration is a significant and unacceptable risk. In mitigating these risks it is important to recognize that birdshot loads are significantly handicapped as compared to buckshot loads in their capacity to create the deep permenant cavities required to damage either cardiovascular or CNS structures.
Old April 2, 2005, 11:52 PM   #39
yekimak

After reading through this guy's experiments, I have to say that I am going to keep with the 12gauge, especially considering I live in an apartment building that I own. He just posted his latest experiment on ar15.com.

http://www.theboxotruth.com
Old April 3, 2005, 12:16 AM   #40
michael t

I still, wondering why you would load any kind of salt load for SD. If your going to pull the trigger best have something in their like 00,slug,#6 but SALT
Old April 3, 2005, 12:47 AM   #41
UziAnnie

I have a 12 gauge loaded with two rubber shot loads and the third is 00 buckshot.
My .357 is loaded with 125 grain magnum loads. Shotgun first and hopefully no more BG.
Both are in easy reach of the bed plus there is a .40 pistol and another .357 in another room.

Too much???? Not in this day and age IMO.
Old April 3, 2005, 04:49 PM   #42
Rojoe67

I feel half safe with the K9 to sound an alarm to get me in quick action.... My first grab would likely be my 9mm because it is as quick as slide mag in and charge - Ready..... My second pick if time permits would be my 20 gauge pump. I would load my Turkey Mag loads..... I feel the distance I would deploy on would put this ammo into it's capability range. I worry about 00 buck or slug in my house........? I have kids and wife so I have to take that into consideration........ If I was alone I would be going 00 buck........ (yes, I know the 9mm is likely going through walls too........Hope I don't miss if such an incident happens at my house.

With all that said if I was too far from either and a baseball bat was a grab away......... I would be using it like Reggie Jackson did......