The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 13, 1999, 02:47 PM   #1
KNIGHT

Does anyone know a place on the net to go for info on this marvel of technology? What are your opinions on this beauty?

------------------
I want a Heckler&Koch MP-5K with the tactical briefcase for my birthday!!!!

Old April 14, 1999, 11:25 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

HK Pro is one of the better HK sites on the net, in my opinion. They have several rare and unusual weapons there. They also have info on the UMP. Go to www.suave.com/~hkpro click on the HK then click on the underlined line that reads something like "click here to enter the exciting world of HK". Then click on whichever weapon you want to view (including the UMP).
Old April 14, 1999, 03:07 PM   #3
KNIGHT

thanks

------------------
I want a Heckler&Koch MP-5K with the tactical briefcase for my birthday!!!!

Old April 15, 1999, 08:59 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Haven't shot it yet (will have next opportunity in Oct) but from what I've been told, it is vastly different from the MP5.

The MP5 is a delayed blowback operating along the same principles as the bigger G3 rifle. HK had taken the MP5 to the furthest it could develop and was afraid it was pricing itself out of the market (rumors of a Glock SMG shook up Oberndorf).

So, HK started with fresh paper and went with a straight blowback design. Just as good, just as accurate, just as well made. Thanks to newer materials and the gun being simplier, it was substantially cheaper to produce and HK hopes to retain its share of the SMG market, remain competitive, and keep the villagers of Oberndorf employed.
Old April 16, 1999, 11:14 AM   #5
SKN

The UMP may not be sleek or pleasing to the eye, perhaps it's downright ugly, but it is light for its' looks and shoots accurately, manageably and slowly (cyclic rate). It has a substantial bolt group in place of the locking rollers, is simple to take down and maintenance, has MP-5 like controls and a bolt catch/hold open feature is provided. The sighting system is different but had no substantial effect in my placing rounds where I wanted them, including 15M parietal band hits.

Next S. California opportunity for LEOs to examine or shoot the weapon may be at the San Diego Regional Training Center next week (HK ITD MP-5 Operator class).