The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 19, 2005, 06:19 PM   #1
Hawken1911

Do full-size mags fit in compact 1911's?

Will full-size magazines fit in compact .45's like the Colt Officers / Defender, SA Ultra and Micro Compacts, etc.? I know in other product lines that is the case, and the full size mags just extend below the grip. Carrying a 6+1 gun seems more appealing if you can carry extra 8 or 10 round mags that will fit.
Old March 19, 2005, 06:57 PM   #2
OBIWAN

They will fit...although there is some concern about over insertion

You can get base pads that will prevent this
Old March 19, 2005, 07:12 PM   #3
HappyGunner

Not in the Ultras

Trying to jam a fully loaded 8 round Mag. into a Kimber Ultra will jam the Mag. and snap off the ejector. Always use the 7 round Mags in them.
Old March 19, 2005, 08:27 PM   #4
stickslinger

Wilson makes an eight round officers mag!

It's a regular eight round mag with a base plate that prevents over insertion, for lack of a better term.
Old March 19, 2005, 08:34 PM   #5
BigGun97B

There's no problem with using 8 round (or more ie 10-30) round mags in any 1911. It just depends if you want to work around the extended mag hanging out the bottom of the weapon.
Old March 19, 2005, 09:00 PM   #6
HappyGunner

Want 2 bet?

Quote biggun97b:There's no problem with using 8 round (or more ie 10-30) round mags in any 1911. It just depends if you want to work around the extended mag hanging out the bottom of the weapon.
==========
Want to bet some cash that you can use a fully loaded 8 round Mag. In a Kimber Ultra?
Old March 20, 2005, 12:21 AM   #7
Gonzo_308

The key is in not over inserting the mag.

I've nver done it myself but I've seen others.

I think they left the slide forward when they inserted the mag to prevent over insertion.
Old March 20, 2005, 12:12 PM   #8
HappyGunner

The Mag's

I have 7 round 8 round and 10 round Wilsons also Metalform and in stock Kimbers I have 7 & 8 round Mag's The 10 round Wilsons have stops to keep them from being over incerted. The Kimber Ultra has an extre long ejector. And if you try jamming the fully loaded 8 round Wilson in the Ultra chances are really good you will find your Mag jammed and the ejector damaged or just snapped off at it's base. When your needing to quickly change Mags there is no safe way you incert an 8 round mag into the small Ultras. I highly recommend sticking with the 7 round Mags.
Old March 20, 2005, 03:22 PM   #9
smince

Quote:
The 10 round Wilsons have stops to keep them from being over incerted.
The Wilson stops work on full length frames, but there is still a gap on Officers/Defender/Ultra/Compact frames.

My Defender is not a Kimber Ultra, but they are the same size and it does have an extended ejector, as do all (smaller than Commander) Compact 1911's that I'm familiar with. I use McCormick and Wilson 8-rounders for spares. They work with both my compact, full-size, and Mechtech CCU for reloads.

While it looks like it is possible to over insert the mag and break off the ejector, I have personally done so. Maybe it's the MIM parts on the Kimber that are fragile. But then again, my Colt ejector may be MIM also.

Since they are the same length, it seems to me it would be just as easy to over-insert a full size 7-rounder as it would be an 8.
Old March 20, 2005, 04:31 PM   #10
HappyGunner

Not the expert

I am not trying to be the expert on all Mags being used in all 1911s. I am just hoping that by giving the forum the information in this thread about what my experiences have been using a Wilson Combat 47D 8 round Mag. caused in my Kimber Ultra Carry. I now use the Wilson Combat 47OX 7 round Mags fullyloaded in the Ultra Carry with no problems. Anyway goodluck and goodMagging to everyone owning or shooting a 1911.
Old March 20, 2005, 08:45 PM   #11
BigGun97B

I have a SA MicroCompact 1911 GI. I have a couple of 8 round mags that fit and function perfectly in it. They are KIMBER magazines. I'll bet anything in the world that they work in my Micro. I have a Para and I'm pretty sure they will not work in it. I do not care if they work in an Ultra Kimber whatever. I am surprised though that they do not. They should.
Old March 20, 2005, 09:21 PM   #12
Semper Paratus

As noted above full size mags in a compact pistol can cause a problem when over inserted. I have a kimber compact that I carry regularly and occassionally shoot in a pin or plate match. I hahave in a couple of circumstances over inserted a mag and tied the pisto up good.. Having said that I currently use CMC Power mags and for $3 you can get a replacement bottom plate that prevents over insertion in a compact pistol. In fact my onbody spares are CMC powermags with just that same bottom. The inpistol mag is a CMC Matchgrade 7 rounder that fits flush. I don't know if Wilson or anyone else offers different bottoms for their mags to accomplish the same. Bottom line is full size mags work but there is a liability of overinsertion under pressure or whennot fully focused.
Old March 21, 2005, 12:51 PM   #13
Dave Sample

If a 1911 is built right, you CANNOT "over insert" a magazine. We must be seeing a design flaw here. I like to slap them in hard, but of course, all of my 1911's use full size 8 round mags loaded with 7 rounds. I put the 8th one in the chamber and leave some fudge factor there in the mnagazine because I don't like the extra pressure on the disconnector rail of that hard top 8th round.
Old March 21, 2005, 04:15 PM   #14
Unique 5.7

There might be a lot of $200 - $300 1911A1's (Llama) that aren't built right.
Old March 21, 2005, 05:21 PM   #15
HappyGunner

The Ultra 3 inch 1911s

There is no Ultra 3 inch 1911 that is in anyway built like a fullsized 1911. When dealing with the small 1911s everything changes and all bets are off as to working like a fullsized 1911.
Old March 21, 2005, 07:20 PM   #16
Jack Malloy

Uh.....
I don't think I have ever shot anything but full size 1911 mags through my Kimber compact in all the years I have owned it. I just use the officer size mags for carry. WOrks just fine.
My best buddy had an officers model that he never had any officers mags for. He used 7 and 8 rounders and they worked just fine too.