The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 10, 2005, 10:33 PM   #1
zx11rider

Benelli M1 FTE help & CA mag limits

Love this gun, but (as you all know) it is very picky about what ammo it will shoot. I pretty much only shoot either #7 for skeet or low recoil 00 buck for HD. I have yet to find a LR buck shell that will cycle 100% of the time. Even the #7 will FTE ~4% of the time. I'm considering a lighter Wolf spring, will this be okay for both full power #7 and LR 00buck?

Secondly, I was at a local gun store, and the guy mentioned that with the ending of the federal assault weapon ban, I could have a more than the old 5+1 in a semi-auto SG w/ pistol grip stock law here in Kalifornia. Is this true? I'm not sure if he was confused or somthing. I questioned him on it and he said that it was a federal law, not a state one like the 10 round magazine limit still on the books here in CA. So when the fed law ended, I can now put on a longer extension. I know you can have more than 5+1 on a pump shotgun w/ pistol grip stock, but semi-autos too?

Thanks!

Last edited by zx11rider; January 11, 2005 at 08:21 PM.
Old January 11, 2005, 08:58 PM   #2
45R

How many rounds have you shot through your M1? I know a couple of M1 Super 90 owners that have no problems shooting anything through their stock M1s.
Old January 12, 2005, 01:24 PM   #3
zx11rider

When I first got it I ran maybe 120 rounds of 2 3/4" slug and 00buck, and 30 rounds of 3" slugs and buckshot. After that I started testing various low recoil buckshots to try and settle on one, but they all failed regularly. The only exception is Estate's SWAT LR #4 buck, but I prefer 00.

Jeff at SRM Performance (makers of the Sure Cycle) has offered to tune the gun to shoot pretty much anything for a very reasonable price. He says it's not the recoil tube spring that causes the FTE, it's the small spring in the bolt behind the rotating head! I may give this a try, and of course let everyone here know how it goes!