The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 14, 2004, 07:03 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Hodgdon Triple Seven Powder Pellets

Better than Pyrodex?

Or about the same?

In terms of cleaning/fouling, or any other factor? Thanks.
Old October 14, 2004, 10:21 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I don't know about the pills, but the powder is much cleaner and somewhat hotter than Pyrodex, other fakes, or black.
I shot a little in a .44-40 sixgun and it worked quite well with hard lubed bullets. Clear water cleanup, just like the advertisements.
Old October 14, 2004, 11:16 PM   #3
Mark whiz

The Triple Seven pelletes are formulated to duplicate the Pyro pellets - so they really are functionally interchangeable.

Triple Seven is much easier to clean than Pyro but watch for the dreaded "crud ring" in the breech area when shooting it. It seems some rifles develop a fouling build-up down in the breech and loading subsequent shots can be difficult unless you run a cleaning patch or 2 between shots. I haven't experienced that problem in my Knight, but I've heard many talk of it. I think using non-magnum loads helps with this, so keeping your charge down to that 90 to 100gr level shouldn't cause you much trouble, but just make sure your load is seated well if you try the 777.
!
Old October 15, 2004, 10:43 AM   #4
Ohio Annie

Careful with pressure

Please be careful to note the difference between 777 and Pyrodex, pressure-wise, it is 15%. I have a gun in which I normally use 80 gr. Pyrodex to shoot 1-inch groups at 100 yards. I use 70 gr. 777 behind a 180 gr. bullet (this is for does, deers, female deers, at close range).

Using 150 gr. of 777 in a 150 gr.-rated gun probably won't make it blow up because of the extra insurance factor added to the rating but still, be careful, as the pressure difference can affect your accuracy.
Old October 15, 2004, 10:46 AM   #5
Ohio Annie

777 fouling

I should have noted above too that I can shoot 12 loads of 70 gr. 777 and wipe with one patch wet with water and it almost completely removes the fouling. I never heard of the "crud ring" noted above.

The sabot has not become difficult to load even after the 12 loads.