The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old November 19, 2002, 10:10 PM   #1
[email protected]
Wise Guy

What speed / config server?

Yo Rich et al,

What server config do you guys have? Looks like BFC is going to have to upgrade *again* and I wanted to see what you guys have since we have similar traffic.

I'd give you an email, but it's blocked mang!

Kevin
Old November 19, 2002, 10:50 PM   #2
tyme
Staff

dual p3-600
1.25GB of ram
two pairs of scsi disks - mirrored
linux 2.4 / apache 1.3 / php + php-a / mysql 3.23

You can speed things up by putting roxen/boa or some other server on one ip to handle static content, then putting the php stuff on apache and turning off persistent connections. That's idea #1 on the todo list when tfl starts getting slow, along with lingerd (http://www.iagora.com/about/software/lingerd/).

If you're going to upgrade, don't get rid of the old machine, but instead use it to serve webpages. Use the new machine to host the database. There are a handful of websites with good lists of apache performance tweaks that you can find with google.

The more astute tfl members might have noticed that apache 2.0's been tried for short periods of time in the last couple months. It isn't much slower, but it's noticably poorer in performance without php-a if you're really paying attention, because php-a doesn't work with apache 2.0 [yet], and apache 1.3 is still supported, so...
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old November 19, 2002, 11:29 PM   #3
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

I wuz gunna say th' same thang about linux apache php+ php-a mysql an' themthere persistant connections with roxen/boa.

Really, I wuz.

Tyme stole'd my thunder...

TGFCG! (Thank Goodness For Computer Geeks!)