The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 1, 2002, 07:50 PM   #26
CAP1

One in all 3 vehicles and in the house.
I do need to get one for the garage/shop.
Old October 2, 2002, 06:50 PM   #27
vulcan

my 2 cents

In your kit don't forget duct tape ! Its great for making splints, immobilizing limbs & can be used to make a emergency litter by wrapping the tape around two poles or branches. I like to vacuum seal or put the supplies in ziplock bags in case of stream crossings & floods. Try silverlon bandages if the injuries are not going to get proper medical attention immediately. The bandages are impregnated with silver & helps prevent infections. I keep these in the kit if going off the beaten path & have to hike out with a injury. Space blankets are a must for warmth & shelter,not to mention signaling. "travel light,freeze all night"
Old October 2, 2002, 08:22 PM   #28
Double Naught Spy

I am usually fairly well prepared for all sorts of minor emergencies. That is the good news. The bad news, according to a friend of mine, is that maybe if I wasn't so accident prone, I wouldn't need to haul all that stuff around with me!!
Old October 2, 2002, 11:05 PM   #29
Chugach

Others have said it, but I would also urge you to take Red Cross First Aid and CPR training. I completed the courses about a month ago and would recommend them to everyone. They're well worth 8 hours of time.

The biohazard aspect is real...

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." - Bertrand de Jouvenet
Old October 3, 2002, 12:11 PM   #30
MarineTech

I carry a Navy Issue "Unit 1" bag in my my trunk. Won it off a Corpsman when I was in the Marines.

I'ts mostly focused towards trauma injuries with pressure bandages, a suture kit, gloves, CPR mask, etc. I've stopped for 2 accidents here in Southern Maine, and I was glad I had it both times. I also make sure I have it when I go out to the range.

Ditto from on the value of the Red Cross classes.

- We who are about to die, don't want to. -
Old October 3, 2002, 11:19 PM   #31
HKguy9

Quote:
I am usually fairly well prepared for all sorts of minor emergencies. That is the good news. The bad news, according to a friend of mine, is that maybe if I wasn't so accident prone, I wouldn't need to haul all that stuff around with me!!
DNS, LOL along the same lines, I think what you said about me sums it up best: "Skunk, you've got to be the only person to have an emergency supply crisis without an emergency"
Old October 3, 2002, 11:58 PM   #32
4V50 Gary
Staff

Yep. Also a disposable camera.
Old October 4, 2002, 08:29 AM   #33
Jody Hudson

EXCELLENT TIP ON THAT CAMERA...

The new disposables, and make certain you get one with flash and 200 or 400 film, can be a life saver if you get into something where there may be liabilities later. By the way the new disposables have the quality of the finest 35 mm cameras.

And, when you develop the pics, get the two for one and keep one of everything... I can't believe I don't have one of these in my kit. When I worked for FEMA in PR, we bought these disposables by the case!!! We were professional photographers and we ALL used disposables as they were excellent quality and no worries about weather, banging, liquids, or anything else...

For ME this is the tip of the year!!!!