The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 4, 2002, 02:32 AM   #1
Adventurer_96

Replacement Parts for 1903A1

Is a 1903A1 just a 1903 with a "C" stock? I may get a Remington 1903A1 in the near future which has had the original sights, stock, and stock hardware removed, and I'd be returning it to issued condition. Would I get 1903 parts if there were no 1903A1 categories available?

Also, what was the process they used at the time to finish the stocks on these rifles? If I'm forced to get a brand-new stock, I'd like to finish it as close to the original color as possible.
Old September 4, 2002, 06:23 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The 1903A1 had a "C" pistol grip stock, a milled/checkered buttplate, a slightly different handguard, and a grooved trigger.
Earlier buttplates were smooth, later plates were stamped/checkered.

Genuine A1 buttplates and triggers are hard to come by. One source USED to be:

J. DeChristopher
P.O. Box 457
Feasterville, Pa 19047

He used to advertise in Shotgun News, but I have no idea if he's still in business.

GI stocks were dipped in linseed oil, and allowed to drip dry.
The soldier would rub the stock with a few drops of boiled linseed oil once a day, and this built up a nice finish.
Old September 4, 2002, 10:03 PM   #3
Adventurer_96

Thanks for the tip. I'll try dropping him a line, and I appreciate the information regarding the parts.

I figured that the 1903A1 was made early enough that they still used BLO in the finishing process instead of tung oil. I'm redoing a stock on a 1917 Enfield with some Pilkington's Red Stock Stain and I'll put about 5 or 6 light coats of tung oil over it to finish it off. It won't look exactly authentic, but it's better than the sporter stock it had before. Too bad I don't have a huge drum of linseed oil to get the original look...
Old September 5, 2002, 12:27 AM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I assume the rifle has the remains of the Remington pistol grip stock, so replacement with a "C" stock would be appropriate. FYI, most of the "C" stocks around are WWII replacement stocks that have the cutouts for both the M1903 sights and the handguard ring of the M1903A3. These are pistol grip stocks, but most collectors don't consider them true "C" stocks.

The early M1903 stocks have a reddish tinge which was obtained with something called logwood. The Remington stocks are just stained walnut, tung oil or BLO, and a reddish look wouldn't be appropriate.

Jim