The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 10, 2000, 11:35 AM   #1
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

I am curious, why aren't heavier jacketed projectiles (10mm/.41 pistol bullets) used in place of 75-80 grain .410 slugs? Would they tumble more readily or ?
Old July 10, 2000, 06:58 PM   #2
JimWolford

Oleg;

that would only work in a barrell with no choke.

Nearly all 410 shotguns are sold with a full-choke barrell and that makes for some rather drastic differences in bore size, chamber to muzzle.

The jacketed bullets that fit the bore would generate too much pressure when they hit the choke.

If the bullet was small enough to fit thru the choke, it would "rattle" down the bore and be very inaccurate.

Best compromise? soft lead slugs, just what are loaded in factory slug shells.

Jim

------------------
Lay up some blackpowder and flints
The rest we can build, if need be
Old July 11, 2000, 04:56 PM   #3
the dude

i have a little .410 pump gun that i use alot. it has had the barrel cut down to 19.5 inches and has no choke, i have used some .41 bullets to replace the shot loads in 2 1/2 and 3 inch shells seems to work pretty well. living away from town with livestock we get alot of coyote problems and this is what i use for close incounters of the canine kind. works like a charm and i think that it would be a pretty good man stopper as well. dont have any ballistics on it though.