The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 21, 2002, 08:52 PM   #1
David Park

Bianchi leather - sticky?

I wanted an open carry/winter carry rig for my SIG 220, so I bought a Bianchi 7/7L thumbstrap belt holster, single mag holder, and B26 belt. It's nice gear, especially the belt - sturdy but thin enough to clip on a cellphone. However, the leather seems to be "sticky," mostly on the outer smooth surface but also on the inside of the holster. New leather is usually tight, but the stickiness is new to me.

I've already stretched/loosened the holster a bit, since at first I couldn't even snap the thumbstrap (which seems to be designed for the old 220 hammer). I heard silicone spray sometimes helps, so I applied some Tuf-Glide (closest thing I had) to the holster but it had no noticeable effect.

I've got a few months to wear the gear around my apartment until the weather gets cold, but I'd like to speed up the break-in process. Has anyone else dealt with a sticky holster?
Old August 21, 2002, 09:04 PM   #2
rhedley

Try this

If it's what I think it is, Wipe the outside of with a damp clean cloth. Try it on the back first.. [Damp with water]
I was born with nothing, I still have most of it left....
Old August 22, 2002, 07:39 PM   #3
David Park

The damp cloth didn't seem to have any effect.
Old August 22, 2002, 08:34 PM   #4
rhedley

SOMETHING ELSE TO TRY

COAT THE HOLSTER WITH A CLEAR SHOE POLISH [NEUTRAL]
I was born with nothing, I still have most of it left....
Old August 22, 2002, 10:01 PM   #5
HSGI

Sticky Holster !

DP ,
Try using some " Ray Hole's SADDLE BUTTER " on your leather . Sounds like they used a lot of Balm on the finish .
" Saddle Butter " is made od several waxes , parafin and cornuba ( sp? ) wax . Also has conditioners and tallows that will treat the leather as well as waterproof it .
Also at your local boot and shoe repair , you can ask the cobbler to spray your holster down with some " Shoe Stretch " . It's an acohol base liquid that will help yout leather mold to your weapon and help the leather stretch to a nice fit . It will not harm your weapon or cause rust as it will evaporate fast !
Ofcourse , first ask permission to bring weapon in , as you will need the weapon to mold holster too . Do this first before you apply some " Saddle Butter " . Follow directions on container . Beleive me , I swear on it with this product .
I hope thi will help you .
HSGI
Gene " the retired saddle maker "

Try this link to locate some Saddle Butter . I'm not affilliated with this company , but tried to provide a link to locate for you if your interested

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/tackstore/rayholleatca.html