The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 4, 2000, 10:09 PM   #1
gazoline

What is the 'best' or what is your favorite shotgun for trap/skeet shooting? Are over/unders prefered? Do semi-autos work well? Any specific models or brands?
Old June 5, 2000, 08:04 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Trap and Skeet are two different games, and have somewhat different criteria. Trap guns are adjusted to shoot high, since targets are rising, while skeet guns(like field shotguns) shoot dead on, at least in theory.Trap guns run a bit heavier,also.

I'm no expert at either, nor clays, just a generalized shooter. The most oft used clays gun tends to be a semi auto,with the Remington 1100 the most popular. O/Us tend to be Brownings, Berettas, etc, and are almost as widely used as the autos.

IMO, a good way to start out would be to get a semi,probably a used 1100,with choke tubes. Set the stock so it patterns half a pattern high,and go play. After burning up some ammo, I think you'll have a better idea of what works for YOU.

Also, instead of going for expensive and possibly useless mods and addons, get some professional training. A good shotist can shoot well with any clunker, the key is form, fit and practice.
Old June 5, 2000, 10:01 AM   #3
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Winchester 97 with a heat shield and a bayonet would be as good as any...and help to make the range trip memorable for all other shooters
Old June 5, 2000, 10:19 PM   #4
PJR

I shoot both games a fair bit but with two different guns both over/unders. If I were starting out again, I would buy a Beretta A390 or the newer 391. Shoot open chokes for skeet and at least modified for trap. The only downside of the semi is if you reload because it's a pain to go chasing after your hulls. If you like either game you can get a specialized gun later.