The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 16, 2002, 10:37 PM   #1
RevNate

how shallow can I go?

I've run into a problem I never faced before. I've been working on some .30-06 loads with Speer 130 gr. HP bullets. The load I am using is one I used some years ago in a different rifle. My current rifle, a Win 70 would not feed the rounds- nose of bullet hanging up entering chamber (stinking hollow points). I like the load- managed 2 100 yd. 4- shot groups at 0.80" from a sporter yesterday. So, I started playing with the seating depth to facilitate feeding. I had to increase my OAL to the point that only about 0.2" of the bullet base is in the case (don't recall final OAL, but it is within chamber tolerances). The dummy rounds I made feed flawlessly at this depth, but I am unsure about the contact between case and bullet. I do not crimp- so- is 0.2" enough?? Advice??

Thanks,
Nate
Old August 16, 2002, 10:51 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Well, I can't say for sure, but I see that a .300 Savage has a total case neck length of only .220". I would give .200" seating depth a try.