The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 4, 2002, 04:15 PM   #1
cbjessee@NH

Safepacker by The Wilderness

Has anybody tried the Safepacker by The Wildreness (http://www.thewilderness.com/Pages/holsters_zip.html)?
BRET
Old August 4, 2002, 08:21 PM   #2
nemesis

God, guns and guts made this country free. Remember that.

God said, somewhere in the 4th Book of Moses, that holsters have to be made of leather. That's a Commandment.

I have problems with holsters that leave the muzzle and sights unprotected. Anyone that carries daily, and I'm guilty of that, smacks their gun into doorframes regularly. I'd much rather have the holster take that punishment than my front sight.
Old August 4, 2002, 08:27 PM   #3
cbjessee@NH

Scroll a bit more down the page.
BRET
Old August 5, 2002, 02:22 PM   #4
Christopher II

I have a very old one, grey nylon without the belt loop (or perhaps it was removed, this is a piece of equipment with an *ahem* checkered past...) Never used it as a holster, but it is without a doubt the best soft gun rug I've ever tried. Quality of build is first-rate. I see no reason not to get one.

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old August 6, 2002, 11:38 PM   #5
Blue Jays

Hi Bret-

Yes, I have one that works great with my SIG Sauer P229 or my HK P7M10. They hide in plain sight and are especially handy when hiking in parks / recreational areas where sidearms would unsettle the sheeple.

Make sure to get one of their Instructor's Belts, too. It is best to order from that company when you have a "decent-sized" order to take advantage of their shipping policies.

If you phone them, they'll help you pick the correct SafePacker for your needs and the size of your sidearm. I've got plenty of custom leather holsters, but this is definitely a "must-have" for a variety of outdoor adventures. Protection of the sidearm is unmatched in any other rig.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~
Old August 8, 2002, 07:09 PM   #6
Penman

Got one for a J Frame. It works well, I wish they would round the corners of the pouch and the flap. That wouldn't compromise much in the capacity of the pouch, and it would keep the corners from snagging and curving up. It is a great transport pouch that can double for on-body carry.

Eagle Creek used to make a belt pouch that would just hold a J Frame and a speedloader and speed strip. Much smaller, but the belt loop gave out-not really intended for a gun, but if I find another that's what I'd use.
Old August 9, 2002, 03:45 PM   #7
blades67

They are excellent holsters for their intended role. They aren't the quickest rig around, but I like them better than a fanny pack.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old August 11, 2002, 12:31 AM   #8
Blue Jays

Pretty flexible carry....

Hi Everyone-

Yes, as Blades67 mentioned, they're not the fastest rig in town...but that shouldn't dissuade you. Most people would not even identify it as a holster. If you're using it for hiking, just hang a pair of yellow Walkman earphones on it and 99.99% of people will think it is for a portable CD player!

Speaking of "hiding in plain sight," I wish they would also make these things in blue or forest green in addition to black to further reduce the "tactical" look. Penman's idea of rounding-off the corners is another great suggestion.

If you get the SafePacker, remember to take a permanent black marker and "color" the sides of the leather emblem. It comes in a natural color from the factory and seems to attract attention, in my estimation.

The storage compartment for an extra magazine on the inside is fantastic. As far as overall protection of the firearm from weather, dust, blows, branches, or falls, I don't think this holster has an equal.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~
Old August 11, 2002, 07:53 AM   #9
cbjessee@NH

I guess I'll be ordering one! I had sent a message to The Wilderness asking the correct size for a Sig P239 and a Kel-Tec P11, but they are not so good in responding. I'll have to give them a ring unless someone has experience for these pistols.

I might cut the stitching on The Wilderness patch and sew on another patch (not a SIG or NRA patch) to divert attention.

That briefcase looks interesting too, but off-body carry isn't a great practice

BRET
Old August 12, 2002, 09:24 AM   #10
Christopher II

I've never e-mailed them, but if you call Wilderness on the phone they are almost oppressively helpful.

Good luck. Now that you've brought it up, I might have to get another one...

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old August 12, 2002, 07:27 PM   #11
cbjessee@NH

As a matter of fact, they just replied (PC troubles):
1. Kel-Tec P32 Mustang Model
2. Kel-Tec P11 J-Frame Model
3. Sig P239 Officer's Model
4. Sig P226 and P220 Government Model

They were very helpful, explaining that they do make items in other colors for a 4-6 week wait, but that their real-world tests showed that the black color was less attention-grabbing than others on the Safepacker, which looks ordinary and doesn't flop around.

Picked up an Officer's Model, 1-1/2" belt and medium briefcase with shoulder strap.

Great guys that were happy to tell me more than I wanted to know. Takes the sting out of that pricey gear - a bit.

BRET