The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 6, 2002, 08:22 PM   #1
Guyon

Brand New to Blackpowder...

Well, I took the leap. Bass Pro had their big annual hunting sale, and I got a wild hair and bought a smokepole. Let me start by saying I'm a muzzleloading beginner.

I didn't go whole hog and get a Knight, TC, or Savage. I'm just easing into this whole blackpowder scene so I started off a little lower on the pecking order (and price range). I bought a CVA MagBolt (the 150/26). They apparently added 2 inches to the barrel of their MagBolt this year, so it's a "NEW" model.

I also got a starter kit (came with patches, solvent, plug grease, speed loaders, bore brush, breech brushes, bullet starter, starter attachments, nipple/breech plug pick, some Powerbelt bullets, and a video). I also bought some Pyrodex pellets, primers, bases and rings. I hope to find a scope this weekend.

Any tips on working up a good load? Right now, I just have the pellets in 50 grain increments. But I'll likely get some Pyrodex (maybe even blackpowder) and play around with loads.

Also, what about bullets? Any recommendations for accuracy?

I should add that I'm not a traditionalist when it comes to muzzleloading, and I am really aiming for the most accurate and humane shot for whitetail deer.

Finally, what about other accessories I can't live without? Suggestions?
Old August 6, 2002, 09:41 PM   #2
Alex Johnson

Sounds like you have about everything you need. I'm personally not into inlines, however, aside from the ignition system they handle like any other traditional muzzleloader.
The essential components are a powder measure (separte from the flask), bullet starter, powder, caps, bullets, and cleaning kit.

You will want to experiement with several different loads and bullet combinations. I doubt your rifle has a roundball twist so you should probably stick with conicals or sabots. One load that I've found works good in my father's TC with a 1-28 twist is 80 grains of 2fg and a maxi ball which I believe is around 350 grains. This particular rifle has killed at least a couple deer with this load and it is accurate at 200 yards with the aide of a good peep sight.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old August 8, 2002, 09:25 PM   #3
Jackbenimble

Tell me what you think of the gun. I too am looking at buying the same deal at Bass Pro.
Old August 8, 2002, 09:41 PM   #4
Hemicuda

welcome... smoke poles can be additing... I have last years model of the same gun...

mine's decent with round balls, but it REALLY excells with TC sabots, and HOrnady XTP pistol bullets...

and I use real (Goex) black powder... I have had ignition problems with pyrodex... admittedly, that was in my pld CVA plainsman... but still...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old August 9, 2002, 08:57 AM   #5
Jimmy Mac

You had problems with ignition with Pryodex because it is harder to ignite than blackpowder.

Black ignites at around 325 degrees and Pryodex lights at 700.

The stock CVA nipple sometimes will not ignite Pryodex very well. Combine it with Pryodex and Remington caps and a dirty gun and you will have problems.

A clean gun with a hotshot nipple and CCI caps will ignite Pryodex fairly well and blackpowder everytime.

Last edited by Jimmy Mac; August 9, 2002 at 02:50 PM.