The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 29, 2002, 11:07 AM   #1
TEX

SKS Detachable Magazines

Not sure if this is in the right forum, but here goes ...

I would like some information on using detachable magazines in an SKS. I understand that an "assault" weapon may only have two evil devices of your choice (pistol grip, detachable magazine over 10 rounds, flash suppresser, bayonet lug) My SKS still has its bayonet lug, but is presently unusable because of a pinned slip-on type of muzzle brake (not flash suppresser) and it has a sort of pistol grip type stock that has full extensions to the butt from the top and bottom of the grip. I believe it is called a Druganof (sp?) type stock. My question is - can I use a 20-round detachable magazine and still be legal.?

It seems that it would only have one evil device (detachable mag over 10 rounds) and possibly two if you consider the unusable bayonet lug. I don't believe the ype of stock I have is considered a pistol grip. Are there any laws specifically directed at SKSs that would prohibit any of this. I hate the present gun laws, they resemble the complications of the IRS codes more each time a new law is passed.

Thanks in Advance

TEX
Old July 30, 2002, 02:07 PM   #2
DMK

Because it's imported, the SKS falls under the much more restrictive 922(r) which only allows the detachable mag and no other "evil" features.

That means no pistol grip, no bayonette or mount (you have to cut it off), no bipod and not even night sights. you can keep the brake as long as it can't be misconstrued as a flash suppressor.

A stock SKS is excluded from this law because it has a fixed mag. You could just swap it for a 20 round fixed and be legal. (I've heard fixed Keng mags are good. Red star mags are terrible, I've got one).

With the detachable, cut off the bayonette mount, cold blue it and you should be legal.

I posted a lengthy opinion on this issue on the Survivor SKS forum. Here's the link if you wish to read it.

http://pub128.ezboard.com/fsurvivors...picID=90.topic
Old July 31, 2002, 01:12 AM   #3
Cheapo

Hey, when did night sights become "evil features?"
Old July 31, 2002, 02:01 AM   #4
Romulus

I thought that a Dragunov style stock was essentially a thumbhole stock which is not classified as a pistolgrip stock...hence the combo of removable magazine and thumbhole (dragunov) should be ok even on imports, but it I'm not sure...please double check that

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old July 31, 2002, 08:09 AM   #5
DMK

"Hey, when did night sights become "evil features?""

I believe it was 1991

According to 922(r), a rifle with a detachable magazine and one other of the following features would classify the rifle has having a military configuration, no sporting purpose and would be disqualified for importation, therefore it would also be illegal to assemble such a rifle using 10 or more imported parts.

a. ability to accept
b. folding/telescoping stock
c. pistol grip
d. ability to accept a bayonet
e. flash suppressor
f. bipod
g. grenade launcher
h. night sights

Last edited by DMK; July 31, 2002 at 09:42 AM.
Old July 31, 2002, 03:25 PM   #6
hsg2001

I don't like the idea of detachable mags on a SKS. The're bulky and slow, in my opinion of course.

I prefer a fixed mag, 10 or 20 round, and a bunch of stripper clips. I can do incredibly fast reloads this way.

It's ironic, I can get more prone and deadly with a fixed 10 round mag, and reload quicker than with a detachable...making me "more deadly" without the "evil" features

Whatever floats your boat though.
Old August 1, 2002, 04:02 PM   #7
DMK

Shhh, keep that to yourself!
Old August 2, 2002, 07:17 AM   #8
TEX

I odn't mind the stripper clips and a fixed magazine, but I have not found a way to easily top off the partially emptied fix magazine. If their is a slick technique to this, I would like to know.

Tex
Old August 7, 2002, 11:54 AM   #9
DMK

You can't easily top off the SKS mag.

The best way to "tactically reload" would be to open the mag, dropping the remaining rounds on the ground, close the mag and pull back the bolt. Then insert a fresh 10 rounds via stripper.

I did see a modified SKS once that had a spring loaded bolt stop installed in the side of the receiver. You could pull the bolt back, then push the bolt stop in to hold it. Even then however, you'd be trying to push ten rounds from the stripper into a half full mag.