The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 12, 1999, 12:11 PM   #1
Deans

Need some help. Read somewhere the 1100 needs
to be cleaned regular for proper operation.
My son's is not cycling corectly and I
suspect the gas ports need cleaning. Where can I get the cleaning procedures to send to
my son.

Posted this is The Smithy thread also.

Thanks in advance. Deans
Old September 12, 1999, 08:01 PM   #2
Rob62

Deans,
If you call Remington at 1-800-243-9700 they will send you and or your son a manual for FREE. Can't beat that deal. Hope this helps.

Rob

RKBA!

------------------
It's amazing what a large group of stupid people can accomplish.
-----------------

Old September 12, 1999, 11:38 PM   #3
Cat

Deans,
Have you cleaned the crude off the outside of the magazine tube? This is what usually slows down the action from cycling properly. I usually wipe mine off about every 250-300 rounds and have no feeding problems. I have never had to clean out the gas ports in the barrel in several thousands of rounds. Maybe it's the ammo. Different burning rates and the amount of residue they leave?
I wipe the "O" ring off when I do the magazine exterior. Handle it carefully so that you don't nick it on the threads and it should last a long time.
Cat
Old September 16, 1999, 05:38 PM   #4
ptpalpha

Deans-here are two tips that I've learned with my 1100. The gas ports, beneath the fore-end should be poked out every now and again. I use a paper clip. The second tip is from my gunsmith. He told me that he has more 1100's come in that need only a thorough cleaning, i.e. strip the entire weapon with degreaser and use a quality lube before reassembling. I've had mine for 11 years, and with a basic cleaning regimine it has served my flawlessly as a clays gun, bird gun, and deer gun (with different barrels, of course). Final note-a buddy of mine found out that the 1100 Magnum will not function with 2 3/4" shells, nor will the standard 1100 function well with reduced recoil shells. Good Luck!
Old September 17, 1999, 08:26 PM   #5
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

DEAN:
I am preparing to send you an assem/disassem instructions for the Rem 1100. I will have to send it by separate email, and will get it done tonight. Kindly provide an email address.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited September 17, 1999).]