The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 24, 1999, 03:48 PM   #1
Skorzeny

What are some reliable and rugged home defense autoloading shotguns (say, under $1,000)? Remington 1100/11-87? Benellis? Beretta 1201? What about the Mossberg 9200A1 The Jungle Gun?

Any thoughts? Anyone?

Skorzeny
Old June 24, 1999, 06:47 PM   #2
POGO

Have a M1 super 90 Benelli that is great! Had pumps before and would probably not go back. The Benelli is light, recoil operated, which means very few moving parts, quite simple, and stone ax reliable. Recoil is not as bad as a 500 series Mossberg pump I once had, but not as soft as a gas operated gun. I'm in the S.E. and they are getting hard to find down here. Average price 800.NIB.
Old June 24, 1999, 10:27 PM   #3
BlkHawk73

I too have a Benelli M1 and highly reccommend it. Flawless operation. Very comfortable to shoot and quick. Personally, I favor the ghost ring sights too. While Benellis may cost a bit more than the Mossbergs and Remingtons, I see thmem as being worth every penny. Remember, you get what you pay for!
Old June 25, 1999, 06:11 AM   #4
David Schmidbauer
Retired Screen Name

I've got Beretta 1201 FP that I sent to Gunsite and had them do a Police Shotgun Mod on. This mod includes shorting bbl to minimum legal length, Tritium Front Sight, MMC Ghost Ring Rear, Shorten LOP on stock, smooth trigger.

The result is a very Serious Social Shotgun. I've had three other people who have shot it purchase one and have the same mod done. It is now one of those arm that fall into the catigory of Never for Sale.

My 5'6" 112 lb wife doesn't have a problem shooting it with ANY ammo (hey... I tried!) and kind of declaired the gun her's. I also have a friend that has a Benelli who like the MMC sights better.

Beretta in fact equals inexpensive Benelli so you have more $$ left over for mods.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by David Schmidbauer (edited June 25, 1999).]
Old June 25, 1999, 12:24 PM   #5
rangerco

If you are on a budget, go scrounge a Remington 11. It is an exact copy of the Browning A-5 with all its virtues and practically no demand. Parts can be interchanged with fitting. The other "mind blower" for me is the Ithaca 37. My gunsmith friend introduced me to it by taking the butt pad loose (one screw), taking the butt stock thru bolt out, taking the butt stock off, holding the rest up and shaking... I had more junk in my pockets than it had parts... SIMPLE. ... good luck.
Old June 25, 1999, 05:52 PM   #6
CMOS

If you're not on a budget - the Benelli M1 Super 90 is exceptional.

The Baretta 1201FP is very close in design at half the price of the Benelli.

I've shot both, bought the Benelli (just can't stand to not have the best...)

CMOS
Old June 26, 1999, 03:10 AM   #7
fubsy

I saw a bunda 12 ga with 18" barrel and mag cut off and synthetic stock, and chokes for under $400.00.........now Ive not shot the gun and its made in turkey, but Im seriously looking at it....fubsy.
Old June 26, 1999, 04:01 AM   #8
blades67

M1 Super 90. Like the Porsche, "There is no substitute!" I don't have a personal relationship with a Beretta 1201, so I don't have an informed opinion of them.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~
Old June 27, 1999, 10:27 PM   #9
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Hi Skorzeny, I do have the Benelli (second one owned) and the 1100. Have had 870s and still have a couple of Win 1200s. I have shot them all quite a bit and competed in some IDPA/IPSC matches with the Benelli/870.

I may have too much time with the Remingtons as I am not really happy with my Benelli. The problem stems from my opinion that the 1100/870 series is simply more user friendly. They are not as fast and not as accurate (IMHO) but I have a lot of trigger time with them.

If this is your first, you will probably do fine with the Benelli. If not, might want to be prepared to be a little frustrated.

BTW - the Beretta seems to be the "Chevvy" (as compared to the Benelli "Caddy"). I have several buddies who really like the Beretta better.

Hope this helps..

Giz

------------------
"Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies..." LG, RIP

Old June 28, 1999, 04:39 PM   #10
RCH

I'll have to cast my vote for the Benelli. I have shot a 1100 and there was no comparison. I may be biased since I purchased a Super 90 M-3... 8 round mag, pistol grip stock, ghost ring sights. What's not to like?!
Old June 28, 1999, 05:07 PM   #11
Skorzeny

So far, no one has mentioned Mossberg 9200A1 "The Jungle Gun."

Apparently, a US military contract was awarded to Mossberg to supply a part of the military with the Mossberg 9200A1 (for anti-narcotics operations?), but I haven't heard who uses these.

Is there a reason (or reasons) why the Jungle Gun has not taken off like the Remington 11-87 Police or Benellis M1 Super 90?

Skorzeny
Old July 2, 1999, 08:37 AM   #12
AR BLACK

Anyone have the link to Benelli's web site?
Old July 2, 1999, 09:06 AM   #13
BigG

The Gunny Sgt took the words out of my mouth when he said the stock is too long on the Benelli (especially with the evil pistol grip). The Beretta 1201 appears to be a clone and is my choice. My wife has also adopted mine as "her gun". LOL BigG

------------------
Yankee Doodle

Old July 2, 1999, 09:48 AM   #14
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Benelli website www.benelliusa.com
Old July 8, 1999, 04:32 PM   #15
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Hi all and Skorzeny,

Ran some drills with my 1100 and M1S90 this weekend.

No big results, but thought I would pot my thoughts..

Speed - Face it, the Benelli flys. Had a neighbor ask what kind of machine gun we were shooting..

Definately like the safety on the 1100 better. I have the pistol grip on the M1S90 and the safety is a bit harder to hit.

Sights are a toss up. I have had SGT's Ghost Rings before and liked them. The standard irons om my M1S90 work pretty well though. I would imagine that they are somewhat more durable. I find that a bead is OK on the range, but leads to high misses in hunting or in timed competition.. (seems that folks lift their faces off the stock when under pressure.) I am thinking about trying MMC's next.

Stopped by the local GS and looked at a new M1S90. Had adjustable chokes. The barrel had the neatest bulge and there they were. No pistol grip, but had a triangular plate that greatly increased the "footprint" of the safety. Thinking very seriously about selling my M1S90 and getting that one..

Giz

------------------
"Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies..." LG, RIP

Old July 15, 1999, 11:35 AM   #16
Anthony

One thing that makes the Mossberg 9200 jungle gun a bad idea in my eyes is the magazine capacity. Unless they've changed it, every 9200 I've seen (review or catalog) sported a 4+1 shot magazine. I've never seen any mention of an extension. I'd rather have the option of an extension.

In my battery I have a heavily customized Remington 1100 (18" barrel, 6+1) with Sage ghost ring sights and a preban Benelli Super 90 (18" barrel, 7+1, pistol grip assault stock). Benelli wins across the board as it's the Rolls Royce of fighting shotguns.

That's not to suggest that a properly setup 1100 won't get you through the night though.

Have heard many wonderful things about the Berettas, but have never shot one. It's my understanding that they're made in the same factory with the Benellies...but this could be wrong.

- Anthony
Old July 15, 1999, 07:44 PM   #17
hksigwalther

M1 SuperDuper 90. If you want 7+1 on the current guns you can't have the vertical pistol grip. If you want the pistol grip you're restricted to 5+1.

Always wanted a 1201FP but those rear sights look so flimsy.

(Benelli is now a part of Beretta, as is Franchi. If you look at the M3 Super90 and Beretta's M3P, the similarities in functional characteristics are uncanny. Hmmm.)

- Ron V.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hksigwalther (edited July 15, 1999).]
Old July 16, 1999, 05:06 PM   #18
Mike Baugh

I used to have a Beretta 1201 and it was very slick , it shot everything I fed it and would really put the hulls in the air . I had a friend try it and he sold his Benelli 121 M1 and bought one . I do think the rear sights on them are a little cheesy . The only auto I have now is an 11-87 hunting shotgun and it works fine but is not in the same class as the Beretta . The 1201 did kick hard . Good luck , Mike...
Old July 18, 1999, 02:11 PM   #19
owl

I have an 11-87 that has thousands of hot handloaded duck loads through it, I can't remember it ever having a problem. So I think a pump (870)is the best one to have in a life threating crisis.