View Single Post
Old November 10, 2015, 08:25 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

I got involved in the same thing last week, saying that a rifled shotgun would be a DD; several good folks advised me that there is a BATFE ruling that a gun made/designed as a shotgun can be made with, or fitted with, a rifled barrel for firing slugs (a "slug barrel") but that it still remains a shotgun as defined in the law. If that is the case, then a shotgun with a rifled barrel would still be a shotgun and subject to the 18" barrel length minimum.

I can't find any formal ruling to that effect; it could have been a letter ruling, but it appears to be valid as several companies make shotguns with rifled barrels or sell rifled barrels to be installed on shotguns. They would certainly not be doing so if such guns were considered destructive devices.

Perhaps someone has a cite to a letter ruling, revenue ruling, or some other source for the above. AFAIK, there has been no change in the law itself or the definitions in the law. The AG could have made a blanket ruling, but that would be uncommon.

Jim

Page generated in 0.02453 seconds with 8 queries