Thread: Snap caps
View Single Post
Old August 17, 2014, 06:10 AM   #14
AK103K

Quote:
Silicone rubber, erasers, hot glue, etc.- none of them offer any resistance to a firing pin. Even if they did, after the first time they would be useless. Properly made snap caps have a sprung METAL disc in place of the primer.
I used to use the red plastic and brass "Tipton", or whoevers name they are being sold under these days, and always found them lacking. That little spring loaded "primer" they have, would usually quickly end up jammed into the pocket, rendering it useless.

The other issue I had with them, was with a couple of the rifle calibers. They werent properly sized, and the bolts were hard to close to the point they wouldnt, and it was hard to get them out.

I dont know what silicone type material A-Zoom uses in their primer pockets, but Ive always found it to be very durable and have yet to have one come apart with use. The rims usually go before the rubber, and even then, thats after months of constant daily use.

Early on, I tried making my own, figuring Id save a few bucks, and decided it wasnt worth the risk or effort.

Page generated in 0.02602 seconds with 8 queries