Thread: Silence
View Single Post
Old May 5, 2013, 02:20 AM   #16
Gaerek

Quote:
This sounds like good conventional advice and it just might be, but there are some folks out there who do not have the maturity, experience and/or intelligence to deploy such a conversational strategy. So to young folks I just say not to say anything because I know chances are they wont be able to execute Franks/Ayoobs strategy. Someone who has rehearsed the situation and mature enough might be able to deploy the strategy however.

Good advice is best obtained from successful and established criminal defense attorneys in your local area. I took the time to meet with one a while back who gave me a card and told me to call any time I run into trouble with the police. On the back of that card gives specific instructions. I trust in his instruction and if I do run into trouble before I say anything Im going to call him. They cant use the fact that I wanted to talk to a lawyer against me. Thats my right.
I have a problem with this. In the context of lawful use of lethal force in a self defense situation, you're saying someone is mature enough to carry a gun and use it properly, but not mature enough to know how to talk (and what to say and not say) to a cop? Part of carrying a gun is learning all of these things. The problem is most people think, "Cool, I have a CCW! I can carry a gun now!" Yet, they haven't taken the time to look into or consider the legal side of things. What Ayoob et al suggest isn't rocket science, or difficult to do.

What can potentially get you in more trouble (whether they can use it against you or not is irrelevant) is to clam up every time you have an encounter with the police. They'll find a way to get their reasonable suspicion, to investigate further, because bad guys clam up with police. Good guys cooperate, and answer questions.

Bottom line, if you're mature/responsible enough to carry a gun, then you should be mature/responsible enough to get proper training in ALL aspects (before the fight, during the fight, after the fight) and know how to handle yourself in those situation. If you have to clam up every time you confront a cop because you're afraid of saying something stupid, I question your responsibility/maturity of being able to carry.

Page generated in 0.02819 seconds with 8 queries