View Single Post
Old March 7, 2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Daekar

The attitudes about guns vary drastically with geography, based on my experience. I grew up in Central Virginia, and in my little corner of suburbia, nobody had guns that I knew of. They just weren't used or discussed. As crime got worse there, guns for defensive purposes began to proliferate, but were always concealed and not really discussed.

In Southwestern Virginia, where I live now, it is very different. Everyone here (except for the transplants from the DC area and assorted naive college students) has guns. Many people hunt, many people carry concealed, and I know several people who reload. Several years ago I rode my motorcycle to the (free) shooting range which is part of the National Forest with ammo in my saddlebags and an SKS with a 30 round magazine thrown over my back. Unusual, to be sure, but it didn't cause any concern. Guys in the machine shop here constantly discuss guns, and frequently make gun parts. In fact, tonight one of the guys gave me a 22 Hornet casing the he loaded without powder specially for my cartridge collection. Several of the engineers I know do practical pistol work and own suppressors.

Since I live in the county, I can shoot anything I want off my back porch. The last contractor we had over to do an energy audit admired my gun safe and I got out a few guns to show him... he's an AR-15 buff. Gun shows in the two adjacent mini-cities (they're not really big cities) every few months at least.

However, if you move to northern or eastern VA, it will not be so good. More crime but less social acceptance of guns.

Weather-wise, we have a little of everything. 100+ in the summer, and usually less than 20 degrees on cold winter nights. Single digits are rare but can happen in some places. Humidity can be quite high during the summer, but I like that.

If you have any specific questions, please ask, and I'll do my best to answer.

EDIT: If you aren't a convict, concealed carry is easy to get. Take a class and do the paperwork. Pay a small fee. Lasts for 5 years, can be renewed without taking another class. The shooting at Virginia Tech a few years ago did result in some legislation restricting carry (even permit-holding concealed) on college campuses. That's about it... I think they know that the western half of the state would throw a screaming fit if they tried much. We certainly have our share of antis, but they're not currently running mad like in other parts of the country.

EDIT2: Cost of living varies enormously. Where we live, a combined income of around $80k before taxes places us solidly in the middle class. We own 2 cars, 5.5 acres of land, and a 3k sq. ft. house in a fairly well-off area where 5 acres is the minimum parcel size. That would be totally impossible on our income in the northern and eastern part of the state. You may want to add Tennessee to your list. They have no property taxes, so farmers don't lose their farms when people decide their land is desirable.

Last edited by Daekar; March 7, 2013 at 08:14 PM.

Page generated in 0.02607 seconds with 8 queries