View Single Post
Old October 14, 2012, 11:05 PM   #1
StainlessSteel215

How would YOU reform gun laws if forced to?

I know...hot button topic right now. Specially with everything going on in the country and all the politics behind this concept. Although I obviously lean way more to our 2A rights not being infringed upon.....I do see a couple of loopholes in my humble opinion. Nothing is a perfect solution, but some states like PA where I live can make it awfully easy to abuse this wonderful right.

So, assume for a minute that you were not an avid gun owner/collector/competition or target shooter. You are John Q Public and concerned about how easy it is for anyone with a seemingly clean records to arm themselves TO THE TEETH effective immediately if they want to....and possibly carry out a horrific mission. I think everything can be improved upon, and I would like to get honest feedback on a a few very serious proposals. What do you think of these measures on purchases for NEW gun owners?

• A mandatory waiting period of 10 days from point of interest until permission to purchase the gun and pick it up on purchases for NEW gun owners. A cooling off "layaway" period of sorts and the background check happens ONLY after the 10 days are up.

• A VERY strict examination/interview where applicants are screened using a universal standardized test of sorts. Every gun store will have an expert on duty with extensive training in mental health to properly evaluate each applicant's body language and communication. (they would check for signs of drug or alcohol abuse, mental illness, malicious intent or impulsive tendencies, or ANY indication that the gun would be illegally transferred to someone else). If candidate doesnt meet the minimum score needed based on various criteria, gun store can refuse the purchase.

• A NEW gun buyer would have to demonstrate a basic knowledge of proper gun handling and safety practices, obviously each instance would be different depending on the type of firearm.

• Minimum 15-day waiting period when applying for carry license.

I feel these are VERY minimal regulations that would have a very insignificant impact on responsible gun owners. I do think some regulation is important. If these simple ideas could help reduce the amount of impulse buyers who NEED A GUN ASAP to possibly carry out a malicious act...I think they would be well worth it. Thoughts?

Last edited by StainlessSteel215; October 15, 2012 at 09:15 AM.

Page generated in 0.03276 seconds with 8 queries