View Single Post
Old March 13, 2012, 09:21 AM   #21
chepburn

my 1st post

like you I am new to this but I just wanted to share what I've done over the last few weeks and possibly it could help you or anyone else that is new.

I purchased a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in .44 and quickly decided that at almost $1 a shot that reloading was going to be a necessity, but where to start...

I started with some google searches (which brought me here) and watched some you tube videos on how the process worked. I just wanted to know HOW to do it before I went any further.

I read several posts on several forums but I ended up coming here more as I liked more of the responses people were getting. I hate the troll forums where people seem to always give new members grief about asking the new questions, we all start off somewhere and I think some people forget that.

Once I had the process down I started researching equipment. I decided to go with a Lee "kit" to start. I wanted a base to learn from, I can always add to my "kit" in the future and replace the bargain basement stuff as I progress and venture into larger production runs and other calibers.

I bought a Lyman's 49th and then ordered some things from Midway USA and have been EXTREMELY impressed with the ordering process. Great prices and fast shipping. I found a local shop/range that sold primers and powders and decided to buy those there rather than paying hazmat fees AND shipping .

I plan on setting everything up this weekend and maybe trying to load a few rounds to boot but it may be a few more days as the garage may end up with some spring cleaning during setup lol.

I'll post a list of everything I've bought so far below and where I go it.

Lyman's 49th Reloading Manual at a gun show for $30, you can get it for less than $20 at Midway I just wanted to study it before I ordered anything.

Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit I decided on the single stage rather than the turret but the turret maybe a better deal if you want to invest a little more to start.
Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 44 Special, 44 Remington Magnum
Frankford Arsenal Electronic Caliper 6" Stainless Steel
Lee Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings Package of 2 I got 2 packages of these so that I can quick change all my dies.
Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller because I know I'll make some mistakes
Frankford Arsenal Perfect Fit Reloading Tray #6 you can use old ammo box trays to save a couple bucks here
MTM Slip-Top Ammo Box Square-Hole44 Remington Magnum 50-Round again, recycle your old ammo boxes

this was $216 delivered

I then bought some cases and bullets from Powder Valley your mileage may vary so I won't post exactly what I got but you can see prices on their site.

I spent $140ish here but I bought way more than I needed and wanted to try several different bullets.

and finally I bought some powder and primers from a local shop: 1lb of IMR-4227 and 1lb of 2400. Some CCI and some Federal Large Pistol Primers.

This was about $65.

So I'm sitting at about a $400ish investment and along the way decided that this wasn't just going to be a way to spend less shooting but to add to my hobby and in fact create a new one that I feel will reward me in more than just savings. You could easily cut $50-$100 off what I spent.

Hope this helps, I'll let you know how it works out for me.

Page generated in 0.02955 seconds with 8 queries