View Single Post
Old September 6, 2013, 08:38 PM   #11
Juancts

New to 1911 world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarw View Post
We all have our bias and our preferences. Listen to and read all you can in your research, but don't believe most of it unless someone can give you specifics.

I own two 1911's. The first is a Colt M1911 manufactured for Uncle Sam in 1918. The second is a Remington R1, and I like mine. Every once in awhile I hear a negative comment like I read above about the R1. I then request details of the problem or issues. Never have I received a specific example of a problem or an example of poor workmanship. Most responses are "well I heard poor workmanship or its a cheese grater". I call both comments false and unfounded and almost always made by a person who has not owned one. Remington's warranty is second to none, but I have not had to use it. Remington request you send it back within the first year for their inspection and cleaning free of charge. They pay the shipping and had the pistol back in my hands in under seven days.

Don't buy a pistol you do not like or had a chance to at least handle and inspect. It is best if you can shoot it. Remember, you don't have to restrict yourself to ever owning just one.
Thanks. The problem is that I've seen some 1911s that I like how they look and feel, but when I do research on them, it turns that some of'em are crap (according to reviews).
For example, the other day my local gun shop salesman tried to sell me an "American Classic" 1911. According to him it was an awesome 1911. When I did the research, every forum and review said they were having many serious problems. The same guy also tried to sell me a Ruger, but now I don't trust him.
Another gun shop offered me a Magnum Research 1911 and Sig. Another gun shop offered me Colts and Kimbers.
I know that every gun shop want to sell what they have in their inventory (even if it's crap). Since I'm aware of that, I want to buy a good 1911, not the one that salesmen want me to buy because they have it on their display.

Page generated in 0.03864 seconds with 8 queries