View Single Post
Old December 10, 2012, 10:59 PM   #3
kraigwy

Long range shooting is more about the shooter then the equipment.

You need to refine your marksmanship fundamentals. Any error might or might not show up at 200 yards, but is magnified when you step out to 1000 or better.

The best place to do this is on a 50 yard range shooting 22s in what's called the English Match. Basicily slow fire, 60 shots at the ISU (International 50 Meter target). Get to where you can clean these targets.

Next we have to deal with wind and mirage. I said its not the equipment, but I make the exception here. You need to get a good wind meter. Small, easy to use. Not so much for the range but to use before you get to the range.

Start carrying it with you every where. Look at trees, grass, flags, dust, etc etc, Make an estimate of the wind velocity then pull your wind meter out of your pocket and check your estimate.

Also take your spotting scope to the field. Focus on a point where you can see the mirage, then confer with your wind meter to see what the wind speed is, comparing that to the mirage.

Learn to read wind via mirage. You wont always have flags, trees and such to estimate wind, you'll most always have mirage. Some say it gets too cold for mirage. I'll agree its easier to see on a warm humid day, but I've seen a lot of Mirage on the Bering Sea Ice in Western Alaska when it was 40 below and colder.

Trigger control is critical. You can take care of that with hours upon hours of dry fire.

Also if using a scope, check to see if its level. I don't mean with a spirit level but with a target. Get a 4 ft tall target and set it out at 100 yards. Draw a line vertically down the target. Put your aiming point at the bottom of the target along the line. After you have your 100 yard zero, crank up your sights (while still using the bottom aiming point) working your way to the top of the target. Make sure your groups stay on the line. If its off one way or the other, chances are you scope isn't level with the gun, or you're canting the rifle.

Using the same target, check your clicks. You may have 1/4 clicks at 100 but as you move up they clicks may very. (Most scopes do). If you data calls for X clicks to move from 100 to 500, and your scope has X + - don't toss the scope, just write it down.

Draw a horizontal line on the target and check your wind clicks in the same manner.

Most of this doesn't cost much, you can do it with the equipment you already have. Don't buy into the theory that you can spend your way to success.

If you have a 1 MOA gun at 100 yards, and can't shoot 10 inch groups at 1000, ITS NOT THE GUN.

The difference between a good long range shooter and an average shooter is WANT TO. You get results based on the hard work you're willing to put into your shooting.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02600 seconds with 8 queries