View Single Post
Old December 12, 2007, 02:36 PM   #8
BigJimP

You have to learn - and read a lot - and talk to some of your buddies and get their input. But in my view, there is no reason to start on a single stage press vs a progressive press.

Good habits are good habits - learning your press before you run lots of volume - knowing how to convert calibers - making sure you have quality ammo within specs - powder drops that are very consistent .......you need to learn all that.

But whether you choose a 550 - isn't the issue, in my view. I like the Dillon equipment - the SDB is for pistol calibers only, the 550 does a lot of rifle calibers but it does not automatically index, the 650 does a lot of calibers - it automatically indexes and it has a powder check station which is a big plus in my view. The extra $100 for the powder check option is a deal breaker for me - making the 650 the best buy in my view long term. The dillon SDB - I don't think will do the .357 sig or the .454 cassul - but I know the 550 and the 650 will handle the calibers you listed.

Page generated in 0.02810 seconds with 8 queries