View Single Post
Old July 7, 2014, 08:33 AM   #34
buck460XVR

Since you are using a smokepole with one shot, I assume you want a handgun capable of handling a ****** off wounded bear, that does not give you time to reload. This is a whole different scenario than shooting a stationary, relaxed bear. In that case, you need a firearm just as capable as your primary weapon and you need to be just as proficient. Most folks that carry handguns as backup, practice far to little to hit a moving target, accurately, even at close range. This is especially for those on a tight budget that cannot justify the cost of ammo. Proficiency with a handgun does not come easily or cheaply.

I often wonder why one can afford a $600 backup handgun, but cannot afford $600 to replace their primary weapon, which would eliminate the need for the backup gun. Many times I think these "which handgun for a BUG against bears?" threads are folks trying to find some sort of justification for buying a handgun. Truth is, unless you are going to use the handgun as the primary weapon, it really don't matter. You're primary weapon should always be capable of doing the job. If it isn't or your are not capable of doing the job, you need to re-evaluate the situation.

Page generated in 0.03252 seconds with 8 queries