View Single Post
Old March 15, 2010, 10:08 PM   #47
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Remember, ignorance of the law is no excuse. If the "caller" is ignorant of the law(s) and calls for the authorities, what should be the remedy to reduce or attempt to prevent such calls in the future.
There are remedies, but they require some proactive steps.

First off, IIRC, Virginia is an unlicensed open carry state. Folks there should have been in touch with local law enforcement to educate them on the laws. People should be taking a few minutes with the local chief of police to sit down and explain that the mere presence of a gun does not constitute crime or threat. The chief can then instruct his officers accordingly.

People are doing this, right? Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Cops have better things to do than respond to nuisance "man with a gun" calls, and the 911 operators can defuse many such situations by asking the caller whether or not the person with the gun is doing anything odd besides simply being in possession of a gun. If the caller states that there is no present threat, the operator can quickly explain that the person's behavior is legal.

Quote:
I say it's wrong and too agressive for people to call the authorities when people are open carrying and obeying the laws while doing so.
I've been made, and I was once hassled about it. It was a quick and minor inconvenience. It'll happen; it comes with the territory. When did the gun culture suddenly become the Sensitivity Squad?

Like I said, if it happens (and it will), use it as an opportunity to educate. It may be a chance to make a person comfortable being around folks with guns. You may even gain an ally out of it.

The worst-case scenario is to say, "well, I'm sorry you feel that way" and go about your business. On one occasion, the officer told the guy that for me.

Page generated in 0.03230 seconds with 8 queries