View Single Post
Old March 4, 2014, 11:29 PM   #1
ZVP

Got some scary advice today!

I went summer sandal and ammo shopping today at Big 5 Sporting Goods.
First the sandals, they had just what I needed!
I don't believe this!!!
The ammo:
Not so good!
I tried for .22 LR, store was cleaned out., tried for .38Specials. Store was sold out. lastly, I tried for 20ga Buckshot and not only were they sold out, it dosen't even appear on the Managers Inventory!
She said she'd never seen it in the 3 years she's had that store!
They carry a very small supply of 20ga shells in any size shot. They had plenty of 12's, even Buckshot!
She said in her opnon I'd better look on line or at a gunshop for them because the future didn't look so bright there. BTW she also advised me that ammo sales took place at about 9:00 Friday Mornings and quickly sells out! RF is limited to the total box count and box sizes, you may only be able to get 2 or 3 boxes. Same for CF.
Now I was just about to buy a 20 ga Pump for the HD gun since my 12ga Pump is a bit to hard kicking for my wife (she's small and it really hits her!).
I have a nice 20ga SxS and she shoots it OK with heavy #4's. Multiple shots don't seem to bother her but she's never tried Buckshot. To me it actually kicks about the same as high base #4's, so she should be able to handle it...
I am now really concerned with the overall availibility of 20ga Buckshot at all! To get the mesly 2 boxes I have on hand, I had to attend two gun shows about 6 mo apart! Nobody had any 20 Buckshot Loads anywhere, On line, in shops, anywhere!
Now this has really alterd my plans for that slick little 20 ga pump! There's no use laying out either the price of a new gun or if I got lucky, a nice used one!
I dunno why the shortage is as serious as it is in that gauge? I mean people shoot Turkeys and Deer back East with 20's but even though these guns are considered Women, Kids or Beginners guns, that there would be such a shortage!
Man, these days you really need to do your homework before purcchasing another gun!
It looks like we'll have to stick with the SxS 20ga and maybe I can find some of the reduced recoil 12 ga loads I haave herd about for the 12 ga?

ZVP

Last edited by Evan Thomas; April 25, 2014 at 09:15 AM. Reason: politics.

Page generated in 0.02623 seconds with 8 queries