View Single Post
Old March 16, 2005, 04:58 PM   #9
Mike Weber

I've got two of the R&D Conversion cylinders for my Pietta 1858 Remington Clones. One of my R&D cylinders came from Taylor&Company as I still have the Taylor&Company packaging. The R&D cylinders are very high quality parts and are capable of handling light smokeless loads as well as BP and BP substitute loads. Allthough they are supposed to be drop in parts this isn't always the case with them. I had to do minor fitting to both revolvers in order to make them function smoothly with the R&D cylinders. If you're gonna use a 58 Remington to shoot CAS competition this is the route to go unless you plan on carrying ten spare loaded and uncapped percussion cylinders with you to the match which I sometimes do when I shoot my Remingtons as percussion guns. Someone asked "why not just buy one of the opentops or other ready made cartridge conversion revolvers?" An advantage to using the R&D is that you are able to switch the revolver back to its original percussion configuration by simply swapping the cylinders back to the percussion cylinders. You're not permanently altering the revolver with the R&D conversion. Some cartridge conversions such as the full Kirst conversion include adding a loading gate and ejector rod, these conversions are irreversible so once the gun is altered in this way "Permanently" it becomes a cartridge gun and subject to all the legal regulations governing cartridge guns
A place for firearms enthusiasts to congregate.

Page generated in 0.03752 seconds with 8 queries