View Single Post
Old July 26, 2012, 02:09 PM   #71
kraigwy

Quote:
The problem is, it starts under the guise of "high capacity magazines"...
Who needs them, "they" say...
Well, I would fairly say, no one...
Again, I'll go back to my stand on competition shooting.

One of the events in Service Rifle Matches is the Rattle Battle, or Infantry Trophy Match fired at Camp Perry and other major matches.

The ITT requires high cap. magazines. You basically start out with a team of 6 shooters, you are issued a set amount of ammo and fired at different ranges. Starting at 600 yards the targets are exposed for 50 seconds. During that time the team fires at 8 targets. They then move to shorter ranges doing the same thing in the same time period. The more hits you score and the furthest ranges, rather then the shorter, the higher your score.

If you tried to fire the match with 5 or 10 round magazines you'd run out of time before you got you rounds off.

The same thing with pistol shooting. Many active type shooting matches, such as steel challenge, etc, depend on high cap magazines to be competitive. It's about time, and high cap magazines help you with the time.

I am well aware that not everyone shoots competition, but to say NO ONE but criminals and soldiers have a use for military style "service rifles" and/or high capacity magazines is misstating facts and doing a dis-service to thousands of competitors of shooting sports.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02961 seconds with 8 queries