View Single Post
Old February 6, 2019, 07:35 PM   #1
2damnold4this

Using standards to guide training and practice for concealed carry

Recently, I was guided to these five tests of pistol standards (link) by reading Ellifritz's blog and thought I would use them to test my skills and see where I needed more work. I will let you read the five tests at the link but the last one was a difficult one for me with my five shot J frame while the first four weren't bad.

The last test requires three shots at one 6"x11" target, a transition to another 6"X11" target a yard away to be shot three times with both targets being five yards away. The shooter is then required to reload. This must be accomplished drawing from concealment with a par time of seven seconds. My plan was to fire three shots at the first target and two at the second, load two rounds from a speed strip and shoot the last round. Then I would dump the cylinder and reload with a speed loader. With my S&W 342, I was able to make five good hits in good time but then I tried to load two more rounds from a speed strip in order to fire the last shot before the reload but completely flubbed it. While I made five good hits in good time, and made a good sixth hit, I was terribly slow getting the first and last reloads.

Passing the first four tests and failing the fifth showed me I need to work on my reloads. Does anyone else have some tests/standards that you have used to guide your practice or training?

Page generated in 0.04050 seconds with 8 queries