View Single Post
Old April 17, 2009, 07:15 AM   #8
BlueTrain

And you know, I have absolutely no recollection of the model rifle used for firing the salute. Springfield bolt actions still show up in Washington, D.C., for honor guards. Navy, I think.

This reminds me of something from years ago. I used to attend the St. Andrew's Ball held by the St. Andrew's Society in Washington, D.C. At the time, it was actually held in a big hotel in Washington. There was going to be a color guard (they would say "colour guard"). Naturally, any self-respecting color guard has to have rifles and they started asking around. I happened to have several Lee-Enfield rifles at the time, which naturally would be most correct for something like that, so I loaned them two. Just think about it. Here I was driving into D.C. carrying two completely functional bolt action rifles, and bringing them upstairs to the ballroom, where they were used, then sat next to the table we had. Then I carried them to the car and off to home. This was about 30 years ago. I doubt anyone could get away with that now.

They weren't chrome plated, either.
Buy War Bonds.

Page generated in 0.03598 seconds with 8 queries